‘Frustrating’ weekend for Alex Jones at Formula Vee season opener
- Credit: Archant
Radlett-based racing driver, Alex Jones, endured a character-building start to his season in the opening two rounds of the 750 Motor Club Formula Vee Championship at Donington Park.
His first race was hampered by an engine change after qualifying and although he did start, he was soon forced to retire with a loose exhaust.
The second outing however was much better and he was challenging for 10th until oil on the circuit caused a spin for him and two opponents.
He was able to continue and although down in P16 he clawed his way up a handful of places before the chequered flag dropped.
The 22-year-old said: “It’s not the best way to have started the season and it just goes to show how a small mistake can affect the rest of the weekend in motorsport.
You may also want to watch:
“The guys at Bears Motorsport have done a tremendous job all weekend and they worked very efficiently to change the engine and get me out between qualifying and the first race.
“It’s frustrating that our results this weekend aren’t a true reflection of our pace and their efforts so I’ll be doing everything I can to make up for it at Brands Hatch.”
- 1 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 2 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 3 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 4 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 5 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 8 Twice the yumminess from St Albans baking company
- 9 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 10 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
He has not had his 2016 GAC car for very long but he says he is hopeful of a promising season.
“I really like the new 2016 car,” he said. “It’s quite different to last years’ so I’m still adapting but once I’m fully comfortable I really feel we’ll be able to move up the grid and make some true progress.”
The next round at Brands Hatch takes place over the weekend of April 23 and 24.