Frendo nets first league goal
- Credit: Archant
JOHN FRENDO scored his first league goal for St Albans City at his old stomping ground in Hitchin on Monday night as his side earned a hard-fought draw.
Coming off an incredible 44-goal season with the Canaries, a feat which earned him the golden boot, and scoring 103 times in three years at Top Field, City’s marquee summer signing has struggled for goals so far, failing to score in the first five games.
So the story seemed written for Frendo to score his first league goal for City against his former club where he was so prolific, and he duly obliged, rolling the ball past Tajh Bell in the 16th minute to give Saints the lead.
Michael Noone equalised soon after with a long-range effort and for the rest of the game City were below par.
But the main takeaway from the game will be Frendo’s goal and joint manager Graham Golds believes it will be the first of many.
You may also want to watch:
“I think it is a weight off his shoulders that he has opened his account,” he said.
“You could see that after he scored the confidence come back in his game. He was holding the ball up better, his movement was better and overall he was more comfortable.
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 3 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 4 Man 'tasered' outside Alban Arena after brawl, claim eyewitnesses
- 5 Record-breaking run for St Albans' Lizzie Bird in Olympic final
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 St Albans MP reveals: 'Oaklands College has no intention of continuing to provide nursery services'
- 8 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
- 9 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 10 St Albans violent crime: 'Imagine having a criminal record before having a chance to get a job'
“Hopefully he’ll go on to score a few more for us.”