Frazer leads Harpenden to draw against Hertford
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Cricket Club stayed in second place in the Saracens Hertfordshire Cricket League Premier Division after playing out a draw at home to Hertford.
Skipper Ben Frazer produced a captain’s innings, scoring 93 from 80 balls, to help the hosts reach the close of play with wickets intact.
They had been set a tough total of 281-7 declared by Hertford, thanks to a stand of 207 for the sixth wicket by Alistair Jenkin and James Leather.
Jenkin fell short of his century by just two runs but it was the knock of Leather that was more impressive.
He finished on 131 before being caught by Ben Clements off the bowling of Simon White.
You may also want to watch:
But he reached that total in just 83 balls, smashing an incredible 12 sixes as well as eight fours.
It helped Hertford recover from 71-5, a position that had Harpenden well in control.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 2 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 3 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 4 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 5 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 6 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
- 7 Shortages crisis hits district
- 8 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 9 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 10 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
White proved to be the main attacking threat with the ball, finishing on 4-48.
Billy May, Bradley Finch and Frazer chipped in with the other wickets.
Their reply had started as poorly as Hertford’s and when opener Greg Cooper went for 15, Harpenden were just 47-4.
But his departure brought Nick Lamb to the crease along with Frazer and that helped steady things.
Frazer would go next but by the time he did, Harpenden had reached 176-5.
Lamb went shortly after but his 37 from 59 balls had proven very timely.
And Jake Pankhurst and White saw the hosts through to the draw.