France spoil Isiekwe’s full England U18 debut
- Credit: Archant
Nick Isiewke’s full England U18 debut ended in defeat as the Three Lions were narrowly beaten 23-19 by France in the European Championships.
The Haileybury pupil was one of 10 changes to the England line-up after their 85-5 thrashing of Portugal in their opening fixture of the tournament.
They couldn’t build on their momentum despite showing real promise in attack, resulting in tries from Jake Pope, Alex Mitchell and Josh Caulfield.
France maintained the lead throughout the fixture in Blagnac, scoring two tries and 13 points off the boot.
Head coach John Fletcher said: “We knew France would be a tough opposition and that was proved right. Against a team of France’s quality, you can’t afford to give them the chances we did and that cost us. We couldn’t maintain enough pressure for long periods.
You may also want to watch:
“But despite the scoreline I was pleased with the effort from the players; they didn’t let up and we were pushing hard for a try at the end. They are disappointed with the result but the players will learn from it and produce a good performance in our last game.”
England’s final game of the European Championships is on Saturday.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 6 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 10 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park