France spoil Isiekwe’s full England U18 debut
- Credit: Archant
Nick Isiewke’s full England U18 debut ended in defeat as the Three Lions were narrowly beaten 23-19 by France in the European Championships.
The Haileybury pupil was one of 10 changes to the England line-up after their 85-5 thrashing of Portugal in their opening fixture of the tournament.
They couldn’t build on their momentum despite showing real promise in attack, resulting in tries from Jake Pope, Alex Mitchell and Josh Caulfield.
France maintained the lead throughout the fixture in Blagnac, scoring two tries and 13 points off the boot.
Head coach John Fletcher said: “We knew France would be a tough opposition and that was proved right. Against a team of France’s quality, you can’t afford to give them the chances we did and that cost us. We couldn’t maintain enough pressure for long periods.
You may also want to watch:
“But despite the scoreline I was pleased with the effort from the players; they didn’t let up and we were pushing hard for a try at the end. They are disappointed with the result but the players will learn from it and produce a good performance in our last game.”
England’s final game of the European Championships is on Saturday.
- 1 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 2 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 3 Appeal for witnesses after fatal road accident
- 4 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 5 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 6 Market trader pledges to shave beard for new St Albans recovery home
- 7 No cars mean children can play out in streets
- 8 St Albans street remembers sacrifices of WWI heroes
- 9 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
- 10 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp