Fourteenth loss of the season for Tabard
Tabard played well on Saturday but, despite having the lion’s share of possession, their normally sound defence let them down and they ended up losing 22-8 to Chingford.
Tabard started well and looked the better side but then Chingford, with their first possession, attacked wide and outflanked the Tabard defence, enabling the centre to score the opening try which was converted.
Chingford kept the pressure up on Tabard and, although they responded well, the visitors again broke through and touched down for another converted try.
Tabard then had by far the better of the game but were unable to convert pressure into points. They tried hard, trying several line-out drives, and moves in the three-quarters but they could not penetrate the Chingford defence and at the turnaround were losing 14-0.
The pattern was very much the same in the first quarter of the second half, with Tabard not capitalising on their possession, gained mostly by good forward play in the loose. Fullback Elliot Hurrell came close with a searing break up the midfield but he was dragged down just short.
Just into the final quarter Tabard finally got their reward. The initial break was made by centre Gerry Arasa before the move was continued by wing Tom King, who then passed to Hurrell coming into the line for the try.
Stand off Jack Reilly then kicked a penalty for Tabard and they were within losing bonus point range. But as the game drew to a close, Boughtwood kicked a penalty and then Chingford added another try to put the game out of reach.
- 1 Aldi prioritises St Albans for new store
- 2 St Albans paedophile jailed for trying to arrange online abuse
- 3 WATCH: Delivery driver caught fly-tipping in rural area
- 4 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 5 Sentence increase for St Albans theatre stalwart jailed for paedophilia
- 6 Call for proper testing for new Charter Market stalls
- 7 Major architectural firm moves into St Albans
- 8 IN PICTURES: Alban Pilgrimage returns to city
- 9 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 10 Area Guide: The historic St Michael's village area of St Albans
This Saturday, Tabard are away to Romford and Gidea Park.