Fourteenth loss of the season for Tabard
Tabard played well on Saturday but, despite having the lion’s share of possession, their normally sound defence let them down and they ended up losing 22-8 to Chingford.
Tabard started well and looked the better side but then Chingford, with their first possession, attacked wide and outflanked the Tabard defence, enabling the centre to score the opening try which was converted.
Chingford kept the pressure up on Tabard and, although they responded well, the visitors again broke through and touched down for another converted try.
Tabard then had by far the better of the game but were unable to convert pressure into points. They tried hard, trying several line-out drives, and moves in the three-quarters but they could not penetrate the Chingford defence and at the turnaround were losing 14-0.
The pattern was very much the same in the first quarter of the second half, with Tabard not capitalising on their possession, gained mostly by good forward play in the loose. Fullback Elliot Hurrell came close with a searing break up the midfield but he was dragged down just short.
Just into the final quarter Tabard finally got their reward. The initial break was made by centre Gerry Arasa before the move was continued by wing Tom King, who then passed to Hurrell coming into the line for the try.
Stand off Jack Reilly then kicked a penalty for Tabard and they were within losing bonus point range. But as the game drew to a close, Boughtwood kicked a penalty and then Chingford added another try to put the game out of reach.
- 1 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 2 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 3 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 4 Comment: Mixed emotions as building work begins
- 5 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 6 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 7 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 8 The Zombies postpone forthcoming Harpenden tour dates to 2023
- 9 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
- 10 History in the making as Colney Heath Ladies reach county cup final for first time
This Saturday, Tabard are away to Romford and Gidea Park.