Founder of St Albans Rugby Club named as president of the Rugby Football Union
- Credit: Archant
One of the founding members of St Albans Rugby Club has been named as the new president of the Rugby Football Union.
Peter Baines will step up from his current role of senior vice president on August 1, replacing England legend Jason Leonard OBE in the post.
Baines, who was a driving force in creating the Boggymead club in 1970, still retains a strong involvement despite his other commitments.
He represented Hertfordshire on the RFU Council from 2002 to 2014 and was on the RFU management board for 10 years.
He was also a founder trustee of the Injured Players Foundation.
You may also want to watch:
Baines said: “Jason Leonard has been, and will continue to be, a brilliant ambassador for the game, and on behalf of the Union, I would like to thank him for all that he has done for the sport.
“One of the greatest joys of the vice-presidency over the last two years has been visiting clubs, schools and constituent bodies across the country and meeting the people who freely commit so much of their time and effort for the good of the game, and I’m looking forward to continuing that over the next year.”
- 1 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 4 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 5 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor
- 8 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 9 St Albans Folk Festival 2021 to go ahead this weekend
- 10 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
Leonard’s time in office saw him focus on the legacy of the Rugby World Cup 2015.
He said: “A combination of the larger scale, national projects and the more localised, grassroots initiatives that we have delivered across the past year have helped us to achieve our goal of illustrating that rugby really is a game for everyone, providing people across the country with the opportunity to enjoy the game and all it has to offer.
“I would like to wish Peter all the best for his term as RFU President.”
St Albans RFC are recruiting both Senior and Minis Players for the upcoming 2016/17 season please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org or find us on Facebook.