Former world champ tips Smyth to pack a punch
JOE Smyth s bid for boxing glory received the backing this week of a former world champion. Smyth aims to make it three wins out of three at Watford Town Hall on Sunday on the Repeat Or Revenge bill. The St Albans fighter hopes to be targeting belts
JOE Smyth's bid for boxing glory received the backing this week of a former world champion.
Smyth aims to make it three wins out of three at Watford Town Hall on Sunday on the 'Repeat Or Revenge' bill.
The St Albans fighter hopes to be targeting belts next year and former WBO world cruiserweight champion Johnny Nelson reckons the former top-class amateur will reach the top.
Nelson was at ringside for Smyth's professional debut against Paul Bonson in Liverpool in July and saw him record a convincing points win. Smyth has since blown away Lee Kellett inside two rounds and Nelson said: "Joe has got all the attributes. He's got the schooling from his amateur career and it shows in the way he jabs, moves and puts his punches together. He's definitely a good prospect and it will be interesting to see how he develops."
You may also want to watch:
The bill in Watford is topped by Herts fighter JJ Ojuederie defending his Southern Area light-heavyweight title against Tottenham's Joey Vegas. Tickets are available from 0207 388 5999 and 07958 921 546.
- 1 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 4 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 5 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 6 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 7 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 8 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
- 9 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
- 10 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden