Former world champ tips Smyth to pack a punch
JOE Smyth s bid for boxing glory received the backing this week of a former world champion. Smyth aims to make it three wins out of three at Watford Town Hall on Sunday on the Repeat Or Revenge bill. The St Albans fighter hopes to be targeting belts
JOE Smyth's bid for boxing glory received the backing this week of a former world champion.
Smyth aims to make it three wins out of three at Watford Town Hall on Sunday on the 'Repeat Or Revenge' bill.
The St Albans fighter hopes to be targeting belts next year and former WBO world cruiserweight champion Johnny Nelson reckons the former top-class amateur will reach the top.
Nelson was at ringside for Smyth's professional debut against Paul Bonson in Liverpool in July and saw him record a convincing points win. Smyth has since blown away Lee Kellett inside two rounds and Nelson said: "Joe has got all the attributes. He's got the schooling from his amateur career and it shows in the way he jabs, moves and puts his punches together. He's definitely a good prospect and it will be interesting to see how he develops."
You may also want to watch:
The bill in Watford is topped by Herts fighter JJ Ojuederie defending his Southern Area light-heavyweight title against Tottenham's Joey Vegas. Tickets are available from 0207 388 5999 and 07958 921 546.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 2 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 3 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 4 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 5 Shortages crisis hits district
- 6 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 7 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
- 8 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 9 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 10 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'