Former Saint loses battle with cancer
- Credit: Archant
FORMER St Albans City FC defender Ryan Moran has died following a lengthy battle with cancer.
Moran passed away on Monday aged 31 at the Isabel Hospice in Welwyn Garden City from a rare form of kidney cancer.
He made 146 appearances for the Saints between 2000 and 2003 before he was re-signed by David Howell in 2011.
Saints joint manager James Gray tweeted his condolences.
“RIP Trigger. Sad day for everyone who knew him, great lad a real character in the dressing room and on the pitch.”
You may also want to watch:
The news was announced by Chesham’s manager Andy Leese on the club’s website.
“I have very sad news to share today. Ryan passed away this morning at the Isabel Hospice in Welwyn Garden City.
- 1 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 2 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 3 11 of St Albans' prettiest streets
- 4 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 5 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
- 6 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Foodies lap up tastes of Harpenden
- 9 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 10 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
“Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife, his parents, his sister and extended family. It is an unimaginable loss to his family at just 31 years of age.
“We are all devastated within the club having lost a fantastic guy, a friend and a top class footballer way too early in life.
“We have seen him in the last few days and he was in good spirits notwithstanding his serious illness. He fought his illness as he lived his life, with integrity, courage and strength. Rest in peace, big man.”
A benefit match between Ryan’s Postie XI and Arsenal Celebrity XI is being held at Birchwood Leisure Centre in Hatfield on Sunday (July 7). 1pm kick-off. Proceeds will be donated to Isabel Hospice. Entry is free.