Former Oaklands student looking ahead to Rio 2016 in contract year
- Credit: Archant
Sam Stanley has his sights set on Rio 2016 despite his England central contract expiring in the summer.
The former Oaklands College student has had a frustrating season. He was hoping to push on after making his competitive 7s debut in Tokyo last year before following that up with outings in Hong Kong and Glasgow to earn himself a contract.
An ankle ligament injury then meant he only returned to the squad in December in Port Elizabeth, South Africa while a knee injury has so far kept him largely out of the 7s picture in 2015.
But with the prospect of representing Great Britain at Rio 2016 still a possibility, Stanley is determined to stay in the mix.
“Personally, I’ve been unfortunate in my career in that I’ve had a lot of injuries and this year was no different,” said the scrum-half.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s quite difficult because I got contracted knowing it was a development year to see I would go this year.
“Fortunately I signed my contract just before I got injured but it took me five months to come back from an ankle ligament injury. Then my knee flared up again but I’ve had a solid block of training.
- 1 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 2 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 3 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 4 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 5 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
- 6 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 7 St Albans crowned UK's cleanest city
- 8 Football club donates pitch to St Albans primary school
- 9 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans
- 10 St Albans woman recognised with Queen's Award
“My contract runs until the end of June and then it’s a case of waiting and see. I’d love to be involved for London next year, that would be awesome.”