Former Oaklands student looking ahead to Rio 2016 in contract year
- Credit: Archant
Sam Stanley has his sights set on Rio 2016 despite his England central contract expiring in the summer.
The former Oaklands College student has had a frustrating season. He was hoping to push on after making his competitive 7s debut in Tokyo last year before following that up with outings in Hong Kong and Glasgow to earn himself a contract.
An ankle ligament injury then meant he only returned to the squad in December in Port Elizabeth, South Africa while a knee injury has so far kept him largely out of the 7s picture in 2015.
But with the prospect of representing Great Britain at Rio 2016 still a possibility, Stanley is determined to stay in the mix.
“Personally, I’ve been unfortunate in my career in that I’ve had a lot of injuries and this year was no different,” said the scrum-half.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s quite difficult because I got contracted knowing it was a development year to see I would go this year.
“Fortunately I signed my contract just before I got injured but it took me five months to come back from an ankle ligament injury. Then my knee flared up again but I’ve had a solid block of training.
- 1 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 2 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 3 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 4 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 5 Shortages crisis hits district
- 6 Magic Johnson keeps St Albans City in the FA Cup at Concord Rangers
- 7 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 8 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 9 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 10 St Albans activist joins protest blocking M25
“My contract runs until the end of June and then it’s a case of waiting and see. I’d love to be involved for London next year, that would be awesome.”