Former Oaklands College student George Perkins named in England rugby squad
- Credit: Archant
A former Oaklands College student has been named in the England U20 elite rugby squad for this season.
Saracens full-back, George Perkins, who played a number of games at Old Albanian last season, has been named in the 32-man squad.
This year will see the young England side defend their Six Nations title and take part in a home World Rugby U20 Championship.
England’s coach, ex-Newcastle Falcon, Ian Peel, said: “Selection is getting harder each year because we have more and more young players to choose from as a result of all the good work going on within the academies.
“Their U18 league has had a positive effect with players regularly competing against tough opposition.
You may also want to watch:
“The guys are nurtured well within their clubs getting good opportunities either on loan, in the A league or even in the first team.
“We are then privileged to work with the top talent within this group.”
- 1 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 2 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 3 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 4 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 5 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 6 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 7 Harpenden constituency to go under proposed boundary changes
- 9 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 10 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans
He added: “We are constantly assessing where players are at.
“Those who have been named understand that they need to continue improving to keep their place and maximise their potential if they want to be putting their hands up for selection in the Six Nations.
“I believe we have a really strong group and if they work well together and perform well, they will have success, it is about being the best they can individually and as a team.”
Also included in the squad is Perkins’ Saracens team-mate, Max Malins, who is currently playing his rugby at Woollams with OAs.