Former Oaklands College student George Perkins named in England rugby squad
- Credit: Archant
A former Oaklands College student has been named in the England U20 elite rugby squad for this season.
Saracens full-back, George Perkins, who played a number of games at Old Albanian last season, has been named in the 32-man squad.
This year will see the young England side defend their Six Nations title and take part in a home World Rugby U20 Championship.
England’s coach, ex-Newcastle Falcon, Ian Peel, said: “Selection is getting harder each year because we have more and more young players to choose from as a result of all the good work going on within the academies.
“Their U18 league has had a positive effect with players regularly competing against tough opposition.
You may also want to watch:
“The guys are nurtured well within their clubs getting good opportunities either on loan, in the A league or even in the first team.
“We are then privileged to work with the top talent within this group.”
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 2 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 3 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 4 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 5 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 6 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 7 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 8 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 9 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
- 10 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
He added: “We are constantly assessing where players are at.
“Those who have been named understand that they need to continue improving to keep their place and maximise their potential if they want to be putting their hands up for selection in the Six Nations.
“I believe we have a really strong group and if they work well together and perform well, they will have success, it is about being the best they can individually and as a team.”
Also included in the squad is Perkins’ Saracens team-mate, Max Malins, who is currently playing his rugby at Woollams with OAs.