Former Harpenden St George’s man Owen Farrell takes on England captaincy for trip to France in NatWest Six Nations
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Owen Farrell will take over the captaincy as England travel to Paris on Saturday to take on France in the NatWest Six Nations.
The former Harpenden St George’s pupil was given the nod by England head coach Eddie Jones after injury ruled out regular captain Dylan Hartley.
Hartley’s place in the front row will be taken by Welwyn Garden City-born Jamie George while the vice captaincy goes to another Saracens man, Mako Vunipola.
Jones said: “This game is about the opportunity for the team to move forward and we want a response from the players this week.
“Against France we want to be brutal and aggressive on the gain line and to play with a great tactical discipline.
“Owen will be very proud to be captain but at the same time he is disappointed for Dylan to miss out through injury and he knows the position of captain carries a lot of responsibility.
On Vunipola, Jones added: “We need to make sure we have one strong voice among the forward leaders and Mako has been doing some great work behind the scenes and will step up and take that on officially against France.”
- 1 Man arrested following alleged St Albans M&S theft
- 2 Harpenden residents hit back at Green Belt homes bid
- 3 Woman in her 70s victim of St Albans 'distraction theft'
- 4 Dog owner avoids jail after hitting pet so hard that wooden pole snaps
- 5 Local NHS111 service provider to handle minor injuries at St Albans City Hospital
- 6 St Albans Post Office branch re-opening after three years
- 7 Day of fundraising for No Floor No More campaign
- 8 Recap: Lorry catches fire on M25 in Hertfordshire
- 9 Village prepares for return of Scarecrow Festival after three years
- 10 Where you can see the Perseid meteor shower in Hertfordshire
England team to play France
15 Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby 31 caps)
14 Jonny May (Leicester Tigers 32 caps)
13 Ben Te’o (Worcester Warriors 11 caps)
12 Owen Farrell (Saracens 56 caps) C
11 Elliot Daly (Wasps 16 caps)
10 George Ford (Leicester Tigers 43 caps)
9 Danny Care (Harlequins 79 caps)
1 Mako Vunipola (Saracens 47 caps) VC
2 Jamie George (Saracens 23 caps)
3 Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers 80 caps)
4 Joe Launchbury (Wasps 50 caps)
5 Maro Itoje (Saracens 17 caps)
6 Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints 64 caps)
7 Chris Robshaw (Harlequins 62 caps)
8 Nathan Hughes (Wasps 13 caps)
16 Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs 4 caps)
17 Joe Marler (Harlequins 54 caps)
18 Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins 8 caps)
19 James Haskell (Wasps 75 caps)
20 Sam Simmonds (Exeter Chiefs 5 caps)
21 Richard Wigglesworth (Saracens 29 caps)
22 Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby 38 caps)
23 Mike Brown (Harlequins 67 caps)