Former Harpenden schoolboy named as rugby’s player of the month
- Credit: Phil Mingo/Pinnacle/Aviva
A former Harpenden schoolboy has been named as Aviva Premiership rugby player of the month for December.
Maro Itoje, who went to St George’s school, wins a trophy and £250 to donate to a charity of his choice.
The second row, who also played for Old Albanian Rugby Club, was in stunning form through the month as Saracens continued their unbeaten start to not only the Aviva Premiership Rugby season but also the European Rugby Champions Cup campaign.
It has capped a stellar year for the forward, who only celebrated his 21st birthday at the end of October.
Former England and British and Irish Lions star, Austin Healey, said: “He has shown a maturity on the field way beyond his years all season.
You may also want to watch:
“But it is not just his temperament that makes him stand out as a definite England second row of the future - he possesses great physical attributes and more importantly amazing technique.”
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 4 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 5 Brilliant Breakfast goes down a treat with the women of St Albans
- 6 St Albans City 'got away with it' says boss after snatching FA Cup replay at Corinthian Casuals
- 7 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 8 Mouth of the Tyne: St Albans City don't do lower league opposition but keep bringing them on
- 9 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 10 Revealed: The most popular places in Hertfordshire to move to