Former Harpenden schoolboy named as rugby’s player of the month
- Credit: Phil Mingo/Pinnacle/Aviva
A former Harpenden schoolboy has been named as Aviva Premiership rugby player of the month for December.
Maro Itoje, who went to St George’s school, wins a trophy and £250 to donate to a charity of his choice.
The second row, who also played for Old Albanian Rugby Club, was in stunning form through the month as Saracens continued their unbeaten start to not only the Aviva Premiership Rugby season but also the European Rugby Champions Cup campaign.
It has capped a stellar year for the forward, who only celebrated his 21st birthday at the end of October.
Former England and British and Irish Lions star, Austin Healey, said: “He has shown a maturity on the field way beyond his years all season.
You may also want to watch:
“But it is not just his temperament that makes him stand out as a definite England second row of the future - he possesses great physical attributes and more importantly amazing technique.”
- 1 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 4 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 5 Urgent care services at St Albans hospital could become appointment only
- 6 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 7 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 8 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 9 Property Spotlight: A spacious family home in Harpenden's prestigious West Common
- 10 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe