Footy Pants reach cup final

Herts Advertiser Sunday League round-up (March 25)

Herts Advertiser Intermediate Cup

Footy Pants qualified for the final with a hard earned 1-0 win against Division Five side Raiders Utd. Footy Pants started as though they were going to over-run their opponents and scored with a superb free-kick by skipper Calvin Cader. But once Raiders weathered the Footy Pants storm they grew in confidence with some fine defensive work, limiting their opponents to very few chances. The Raiders side can be proud of their efforts throughout the competition.

Herts Advertiser Reserve Cup

Brookmans Park A team put up a brilliant performance against Division Three leaders Skew Bridge Res in the Reserve Cup semi-final and fought out a 0-0 draw after extra time.

Skew Bridge were matched all the way and Brookmans Park just lacked a killer touch in front of goal otherwise the result could have been different. They only fell in the end 4-2 on penalties. Forward Stephen Harris was Skew’s best performer. This will be cup holders Skew’s fourth appearance on the trot in the Reserve cup final.

Premier Division

Most Read

Harpenden Colts Old Boys’ makeshift side went into half time with a 2-0 lead over London Road with a brace by Will Bates but Road hit back straight back after the break to send Colts chasing the game and although they pulled level with goals from Dave Keenleyside and Chris Ellis two further goals in injury time saw Road win 6-4. Matt Newman led the way for Road with four goals and Matt Day on the two-goal mark.

Phoenix made sure of a mid-table finish with a 4-0 win against bottom dogs Blackberry Jack. Top marksman Liam Addlesee brought his goals haul to 33 with a hat-trick, his brother Marc added a single.

League-leaders Nicholas Breakspear completed the double over AFC Rangers in a 6-1 scoreline for their 11th win of the season.

Division One

Lifted Music looked like a team who hadn’t played for five weeks as they started the game poorly and continued with the same pattern for the first half going in at the break only 1-0 down against FC Potters Bar. A half time rollicking saw Lifted come out in the second half a different team taking the game to Potters Bar and were duly rewarded with an Aaron King goal. Both sides then had chances to win the game but with just five minutes remaining a controversial winner was gifted to Potters Bar. Alex Hill was Lifted’s star man.

Verulam Arms became Division One champions following their 2-0 win over nearest rivals Oaks. Arms have won the division with five games to spare, and have yet to taste league defeat having won all their 11 games so far this season. Goals came from Matt Kenneford and Neil Burrows with Darren Burrows picking up the Man of the Match award.

Division Two

Harpenden Arms Athletic were made to work hard for there 2-1 win over Church End who started the brighter. Harpenden took the lead against the run of play before Billy Barnes equalised for Church. Harpenden scored late on to snatch a winner to keep there title hopes on track. Michael Davies and Ally Collins scored for Arms while Billy Barnes notched for Church.

A hat-trick by Old Albanians Man of the Match Rob Carragher and a Mark Stitchbury single earned their side a 4-2 win against Icarus.

Division Three

Brookmans Park Res got of to a flying start and were 5-0 up in half an hour against Nicholas Breakspear OB Reserves, with goals from Nathan Young (two), Roey Livine (two) and Paul Simpson. Breakspear then fought back to 5-4 but a further goal from Livine sealed the three points in the last game for the Res.

AFC Crown recorded a fine 5-1 win over Vision Res after last weeks defeat, a brace from Curtis Jones and singles by James Watts, James Gibbons and Jermaine Ferdinand plus Man of the Match Curtis Jones.

Although only able to field 10 men Golden Lion came good in the second half to come from a goal down to overhaul Old Albanians 2-1 with goals from Ryan Dixon and Christy Torrens. Dan Solo had earlier given Albanians the lead.

St Albans IFC were looking good for their lead against Insurance Store, after Dom Brewer fired home after good work from Jason Nicolaou, but Store hit back with three goals for a 3-1 win. IFC were unlucky, hitting woodwork twice.

Division Four

A spirited performance by Harpenden Colts OB Reserves didn’t prevent a cohesive Colney Heath Rangers Res side dominate proceedings. In spite of holding out for nearly 60 minutes, a plucky Colts team collapsed to a 6-1 defeat. A valiant effort led by Man of the Match Ross Payton and a consolation goal from Rob Jackson were positives from which to build. Rangers’ goals came from their Man of the Match Lee Greenwood (two), Chris Jell, Dave Anti, James Dovey and Chris Kelly.

With players missing for St Albans Royals they still thought three points was there for the taking against Bar 62. The first half saw Royals really struggle to get going and where punished for it and went in at half time 3-0 down. Royals came out in the second half with a bit more fight and pulled a goal back through Rob Marven but Bar 62 held strong and scored again with the last kick off the game to win 4-1.

Queens Head Sandridge Res continued there good league form with a comprehensive 7-1 victory over Sandridge Harvesters Sports. Queens Head led at half time thanks to goals from Sam Jones and Dan Megias but against the run of play Sandridge pulled a goal back. Queens Head dominated the second half scoring five more goals. Phil Turner scored a hat-trick and Ross Elliot and another penalty from Sam Jones completed the rout.

Despite goals from Jose Moreno and Jamie Cunnington, White Horse Res fell to a 5-2 defeat against Hare & Hounds Res.

Division Five

League leaders Dukes, needing just a point for the title, lost 2-0 to Sandridge. Sandridge broke the deadlock after 60 minutes and Dukes threw away three good chances to equalise but conceded a second after throwing all 11 players into the Sandridge half for a last minute free-kick.

Camp Albanians went 1-0 up after latching onto a long ball missed by the AFC Mymms defence. This proved to be their only shot on target for the rest of the match. Mymms dominated large spells of the game, but not always using the ball well. A number of chances went begging throughout the game, but Mymms still came through 4-1 winners thanks to goals from Simon Maher, Sam Bradford, Dan Boucher and Adam Davies.

The Athletico Quat continued their fine form with a 4-1 victory over Bricket Wood. Nick Perchard opened the scoring after some free flowing play saw him slot home. It was only a matter of minutes before the Quat’s lead was doubled and Nick Perchard was on hand to fire home his second. Vishal Bhurtun added a third before the interval. Perchard completed his perfect hat-trick by heading home his third and the first Quat player to do so this season. Bricket Wood scored a consolation goal.

Cottonmill fell to a shock 3-2 defeat against ten men Pheonix A. A Darren Weir header and Dan Welch 30-yard shot just went under the ‘keeper, but not enough to win the points. Tim Couch got Mills Man of the Match with two assists. Sam Bozier was on the two-goal mark and Sean Scott a single for Phoenix.

Hold the Front Page Cup

Craig Ashurst scored his first hat-trick of the season when Colney Heath Rangers defeated Wheathamsptead Res 5-1. Jason Mitchell and Ian McCarthy added to the score. Neil Stevenson replied for Wheathampstead.

Stop Press Challenge

Greenwood Park found them selves 2-0 down at the break against O’Neills Celtic, however a spirited display saw Greenwood pull a goal back from Nick Fanshaw and as Greenwood pushed for the equaliser they were caught on the break to go down 3-1, however Greenwood continued to pressure and deservedly scored when Kwok found the net from two yards from a corner.

O’Neill’s then hit back and got their fourth, but Greenwood weren’t done and kept pressing and the impressive Al Hanvey went on a marauding run from centre back, beat the offside trap and calm slotted home for Greenwood. Unfortunately time ran out for Greenwood who were by far the better team over the 90 minutes and unluckily went down 4-3. Alex Hanvey was Greenwood’s Man of the Match.

Celtic’s goals came from Eddie Chisenwa, Sam Galway, Rob Horn and Danny Bishop.

Goals by Ross Ypel and Mikey Blanchard gave White Horse a 2-1 win against Oaklands.

Herts Advertiser (Extra) Challenge

Six Bells took an early lead through Andy Hanak but Phoenix Res equalised from a free kick. Six Bells went ahead again when Luke Ossorio beat the Phoenix defence and calmly placed the ball past the Phoenix keeper. Phoenix hit back to equalise once again just before half time. The second half saw both sides creating chances but it was Phoenix with two further goals that took all three points in a 4-2 score. Phoenix goals came from: a Dan Burrows hat-trick and a Joel Pusey single.

Herts Mauritian put in another disappointing display when going down 4-1 against Radlett Village. Only the Man of the Match Shaf Lalomahomed and goalscorer Louis Manerv played to form.

A Man of the Match performance plus a goal by Rafael Velasco couldn’t save Marshalswick Rover going down 4-1 against Bradmore Rovers.