Slade scores twice as Colney Heath Ladies progress in FA Cup

PUBLISHED: 12:22 30 September 2014 | UPDATED: 12:22 30 September 2014

Colney Heath Ladies opened their FA Cup campaign with a 3-1 win at Garston.

Molly Slade put the Magpies ahead before they were pegged back by an own goal, Gracie Campion getting the last touch as the ball deflected by her goalkeeper.

However, two second half goals from Megan Kiff and Slade wrapped up a memorable win.

Colney started brightly and, after forcing a succession of corners, Molly Slade curled the ball into the box only for it to flick off a Garston foot and into the net. Within a few minutes Garston were on the attack and put a tricky ball into the box. The Colney Heath defence had deal with it but Campion directed it in.

Colney Heath restarted and dominated the rest of the half both in possession and chances created. Garston were saved on two occasions by excellent saves as Colney failed to turn their pressure into goals.

The game ebbed and flowed at the start of the second half until the 60th minute when Heath pulled ahead. After a foul on the edge of the box Kiff, returning to action after a lengthy lay off, found the top corner from the free-kick.

The tie was wrapped up when Slade reacted fastest to a save and headed in her second of the game.

The win was Heath’s first of the season and sets up a round two tie at Leighton United on October 12.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Herts Advertiser. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Herts Advertiser