Postal stamped

PUBLISHED: 11:45 27 November 2008 | UPDATED: 13:46 06 May 2010

The Blueboys on the attack

The Blueboys on the attack

Molten Spartan South Midlands League Division One London Colney 4 Sun Postal Sports 1 LONDON Colney picked up three more points after beating Sun Postal Sports on Saturday. The Blueboys were missing their main goalscoring threat Paul Danslow, who was se

Molten Spartan South Midlands League Division One

London Colney 4

Sun Postal Sports 1

LONDON Colney picked up three more points after beating Sun Postal Sports on Saturday.

The Blueboys were missing their main goalscoring threat Paul Danslow, who was serving a one match suspension and started with Jermaine Davey up front.

The visitors nearly took the lead when a mix up between Dickie and Hill gave them a corner. From the set piece, Berti Squires-Adam struck the crossbar with a bullet header.

Mark Jessop, the Sun Postal goalkeeper, had to be alert to tip Sam Mitchell's lob over the bar as the Blueboys began to dominate.

Colney took the lead in the 25th minute when Mitchell latched onto Jack Rowley's flick on and fired past Jessop at the second attempt. Sun Postal pressed for an equaliser and Alastair Hill had to be on top form to deny Luke Sawyer and Ben Poulton while Andy Weller shot just wide.

Mitchell should have doubled his goal tally in the closing stages of the first half but he spooned his shot over the bar.

The Blueboys didn't have to wait too long after the break before they extended their lead. Mitchell intercepted a ball across the visitor's box and instantly lashed a low shot past Jessop with 53 minutes gone.

Mitchell had a glorious chance to seal his hat trick just moments later but he dragged his shot wide following good work by Russell Gallagher.

Sun Postal took advantage of an error by goalkeeper Hill to pull a goal back through Neil Richardson's header but Hill atoned for it with a fine save to deny a fierce effort from Squires-Adam.

Nadim Akthar went on a mazy run for the visitors and his fine curling shot went just wide of Hill's left-hand post.

The Blueboys got the all important third goal with seven minutes remaining. A fine move saw Mitchell's shot parried by Jessop but Dean Barker pounced on the loose ball to run it into the unguarded net.

Colney added a fourth deep in injury time when Barker added his second after Jack Rowley's free kick had been saved by Jessop.

London Colney: Hill, Paradise, McCafferty, Dickie, Humbert, Rowley, Seabrook (Gallagher), Simmonds (Shaw), Davey (Barker), Mitchell, D.Corran. Unused Subs: Benning.

l Two goals in ten second-half minutes saw London Colney crash out of the Division One Cup at the hands of Bedford Town Reserves last Wednesday.

Two free kicks from Danny McCafferty presented the Blueboys with early opportunities but Dean Barker's header was pushed out and Gary Simmonds saw his shot blocked.

Callum Lewis went close with a header for Bedford and Thomas Damon had an effort saved by Alastair Hill. Barker then latched onto Jack Rowley's ball and struck a fine effort that brushed the top of the bar.

Bedford wasted an excellent opportunity to take the lead when Blueboys 'keeper Hill raced out of his goal and was beaten to the ball. Thankfully for the visitors, Lewis headed wide of the open goal.

Bedford took the lead just after the break with a much-disputed goal. Ishmael George got the final touch to prod the ball over the line from what looked like an offside position.

It was 2-0 just minutes later when Mark Paradise gave the ball away and Stacey Field slotted home from ten yards.

Colney hit back with Dave Corran seeing his shot blocked and Paradise's effort crashing into the side netting.

A superb save from Bedford 'keeper Michael Kavanagh stopped Paul Danslow's curling free kick from nestling in the back of the net as Colney failed to find a way back into the game.

London Colney: Hill, Benning (Mitchell), McCafferty, Humbert, Paradise, Dickie, Rowley (Seabrook), Simmonds, Danslow, Corran, Barker (C. Davey).

l The Reserves recorded a morale-boosting 6-1 win over Standon & Puckeridge Reserves in the Second Round of the Herts Intermediate Cup. Sebastian Thomas hit a fine hat trick, with Cain Davey (two) and Josh Odden also getting on the scoresheet.

London Colney Reserves: M.Corran, Smithson, Gorrell, Butcher (Woodcock), Townsend, Ryan (Harkness), Jaravaza, Godden, C.Davey, Thomas, Donnelly (Ames).

l James Pegram and Hayden Connell scored as the 'A' Team extended their winning run to four games away at Welwyn Garden City. Pegram opened the scoring with a well-executed free kick but the home side drew level when David Adams failed to hold a long shot and it squirmed into the top corner.

The Blueboys secured all three points when Connell scored for the second game running.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Herts Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Herts Advertiser