London Colney can’t halt Aylesbury’s incredible unbeaten streak

PUBLISHED: 10:08 25 April 2013 | UPDATED: 10:08 25 April 2013

LONDON Colney could not halt Aylesbury United’s incredible unbeaten streak on Saturday, losing 3-1.

Aylesbury’s last defeat came at the hands of St Margaretsbury on November 14, and they were not going to be denied their 22nd game without a loss.

Colney’s task was always going to be tough without regular goalkeeper Mark Whittamore – reserve shot-stopper Tom Prichard stepped in to replace him.

Aylesbury took the lead after just eight minutes, a fortuitous bounce fell to Stacey Field who did not get the good luck pass, smashing the ball past Prichard.

The teams traded barbs for the remainder of the half with Matt Newman coming closest for the Blueboys but it was Aylesbury who should have increased their lead. A flurry of chances fell for the Ducks but they were denied by Prichard.

The game swung further in Aylesbury’s favour on 56 minutes when Shaun Murphy was giving his marching orders for hauling down Field in the box. Paul Edgeworth stepped up and converted the kick.

Two became three with 20 minutes left when Field profited from a wayward pass from Dan Power.

Colney did manage to pull a goal back through Newman, and he almost doubled his tally with a late header, but Aylesbury held on to move three points ahead of Oxhey Jets, who occupy the league’s third spot.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Herts Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Herts Advertiser