Late goals sink Blueboys

PUBLISHED: 09:25 21 October 2010

Frankie Jowle

Frankie Jowle


SSML Division One

London Colney 1 Berkhamsted 3

LONDON Colney were left to rue two late goals that gifted league leaders Berkhamsted all three points at Cotlandswick.

Saturday’s game pitted Berkhamsted, the league’s leading scorers, against a Blueboys defence that had conceded the least number of goals so far this season.

Colney had to do without striker Dave Parkinson who was serving a one game ban.

It was the visitors who started the brightest with James Armstrong seeing his shot beaten away by John Armand in the Blueboys goal.

The Colney shot stopper then denied Aaron Usmani low down before the Blueboys began to carve out some chances of their own.

The best of the Blueboys’ efforts came when Frankie Jowle’s free kick was cleared as far as Sam Mitchell whose deflected shot went narrowly wide.

Just as it looked like the first half would end goalless the visitors grabbed the opening goal.

Jamie Gavin’s cross found Usmani and the Berko man turned and fired past Armand in the 40th minute.

Berkhamsted’s lead last all of two minutes however as Jowle drew the Blueboys level.

The Colney winger exchanged passes with Mitchell before racing into the box and lashing a low drive past Eddie Farmer to level the scores.

The Blueboys continued to attack after the break and nearly went ahead when Gavin’s clearance from a Jowle effort came back off the inside of his own post.

With the clock ticking down and both sides seemingly settling for a point an error by Armand gifted Berkhamsted a goal.

James Armstrong’s corner looked simple enough for Armand to catch but the Blueboys custodian spilt the ball and Tony Burnett bundled it home.

With the Blueboys piling forward trying to rescue a point Berkhamsted added a third and final goal when Armstrong tapped home Burnett’s pass.

It was bitter pill to swallow for Colney for whom James Thompson was excellent as an auxiliary centre-half.

* The reserves won 4-2 away to Hatfield Town courtesy of goals from Jermaine Davey (two), Marc Farrow and an own goal.

* London Colney Blues lost 4-0 against Bushey Rangers in the Aubrey Cup while the A team went down 6-0 to City Hearts.

* The Midweek Youth side lost their unbeaten league record when they lost 1-0 to Reading.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Herts Advertiser. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Herts Advertiser