Heath claim derby spoils

PUBLISHED: 12:47 07 August 2008 | UPDATED: 13:31 06 May 2010

Herts Charity Shield First Round London Colney 1 Colney Heath 2 IN the first round of the Herts Charity Shield, London Colney were at home to Colney Heath and before the game there was a minute s silence for Gary Dooza Doolan who tragically died in a ro

Herts Charity Shield First Round

London Colney 1 Colney Heath 2

IN the first round of the Herts Charity Shield, London Colney were at home to Colney Heath and before the game there was a minute's silence for Gary 'Dooza' Doolan who tragically died in a road accident, travelling home after playing for London Colney Reserves on Saturday.

Early on in the game, Greg Deacon for Colney Heath saw his firm drive beaten out by Ladyman and Dean Parratt's cross-cum-shot was well held by Ladyman minutes later.

For the Blueboys, Colin Wilson's free kick from outside the box was saved down by the near post by Tom Blackman. Cain Davey found the back of the net with a shot but the whistle had already gone for a foul by Aimakhu.

For the Magpies, Jake Parratt shot just over the bar and at the other Davey also had an effort that cleared the woodwork. Denning had a shot blocked, Benning clearing the loose ball while Ashley Aimakhu had his close-range header saved following a good cross from the left by Jeyaratnum.

Just before half time, Jake Parratt should have put Colney Heath ahead but from class range he blasted over the crossbar.

Ten minutes into the second half, London Colney opened the scoring when Cain Davey's precision defence-splitting pass found Paul Danslow racing clear and he drove the ball into the back of the net, although Blackman did get a hand to it.

Wilson then found Aimakhu with a good pass but he was adjudged offside. Heath then built up the pressure to get an equaliser and both Blackburn and Bright went close before finally, in the 68th minute, the Magpies scored.

Jake Parratt picked up the ball from a throw in as the Blueboys defence backed off and he let fly with a 30-yard shot that skimmed over the wet pitch and although Anthony Ladyman got both hands to the ball, he could not stop it going over his line at the near post.

The Blueboys nearly hit back when Aimakhu put over a low cross which Blackman spilled but although Dave Corran tried to get to the loose ball, it was cleared by a defender.

Aimakhu then headed a ball on to Davey who tried to flick it over Morrissey's head but it wouldn't drop kindly for him and the chance was gone.

The Blueboys won a free kick midway into the Colney Heath half but it was wasted and the Magpies quickly switched play to the other end. Greg Deacon sped away down the right wing and crossed low into the box where Richard Howard was on hand to sweep the ball home past Ladyman in the 79th minute.

Although London Colney pressed forward in search of an equaliser it would not come and Heath ran out 2-1 winners.

London Colney: Ladyman, Benning, Jeyaratnum, Shaw, Murphy, Wilson, C. Davey, Corran, Danslow, Gallagher (Binley), Aimakhu. Unused Subs: Butcher, Jaravaza, Smithson, Sergeant.

Colney Heath: Blackman, Shuttleworth, C. Morrissey, T. Morrissey, Muthusany, Bright, D. Parratt, Jordan, Howard, Deacon, J. Parratt. Subs: Chalkley, Nevill, Blackburn, Rickard, Elliott.

l Tributes paid to Doolan, see front page.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Herts Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Herts Advertiser