Game, set and match; Colney comeback in game decided by the power of the set-piece

PUBLISHED: 15:57 15 January 2018 | UPDATED: 15:58 15 January 2018

Laurence Vaughan in action for London Colney. 


Laurence Vaughan in action for London Colney. Picture: KARYN HADDON


London Colney came from behind to edge a seven-goal thriller at home to Stotfold 4-3 in the Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division.

Laurence Vaughan bagged two of the goals, both in the second half and the second the winner, as the Blueboys fought back from 3-1 down at the break.

Tobi Omotosho also scored in that remarkable second period but it was a goal from Loren Maxwell that had actually put them in front five minutes into the match.

Amazingly all seven goals came from set-pieces and Maxwell’s strike came from a free-kick from Joe Reynolds that was floated to the back post and nodded back across by Bobby Armstrong.

Zach Holding then had a fine curling cross-cum-shot from the right wing go just wide of the far post but Stotfold who started to put on the pressure were rewarded with a corner which saw Terry Billy head home.

The visitors then went 2-1 up when a long range free-kick from Dan Harper flew over the head of keeper Josh Bonaiti and another free-kick, this time taken by Kieran Barnes was responsible for number three.

Harry Smart in the Stotfold goal had to be alert before the interval to stop Dan Heald and Chris Griffin from pulling one back but he would have an even busier time after the teams re-emerged.

Maxwell, Manny Hammond and Vaughan all had efforts blocked inside the penalty box before a short corner was whipped into the far corner by Vaughan.

Hammond had a low strike from the left wing hit the side netting before the Blueboys drew level.

After winning yet another corner, Vaughan opted to curl this one into the box and when Armstrong dummied to head it, Omotosho looped a header over Smart and in.

The winner came from a free-kick just outside the box. Vaughan curled the ball over the wall and in off the near post with Smart guarding his other upright.

It was a great comeback and there could have been more had Omotosho not wasted two glorious chances late on.

Reynolds was everywhere in the middle of the park, driving the team forward, and he picked up the man of the match award.

Next up is a trip to Risborough Rangers in the semi-final of the League Challenge Trophy tomorrow night (Tuesday).

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Herts Advertiser