Gallery: Blueboys pay the penalty as Daventry progress in Vase

PUBLISHED: 09:38 23 September 2008 | UPDATED: 13:37 06 May 2010

Winger Danny Fitzgerald on the attack

Winger Danny Fitzgerald on the attack

A DUBIOUS penalty in first half injury time proved a pivotal moment as London Colney were knocked out of the FA Vase by Daventry Town at Cotlandswick

Russell Gallagher attempts to escape the Daventry defence

FA Carlsberg Vase

Second Round Qualifying

London Colney 0 Daventry Town 4

David Brawn at Cotlandswick

A DUBIOUS penalty in first half injury time proved a pivotal moment as London Colney were knocked out of the FA Vase by Daventry Town at Cotlandswick on Saturday.

With Lee Gorrell injured and Tom Dickie on the bench, manager Julian Robinson selected the versatile Josh Humbert to partner Shaun Murphy at centre back. Attackers Jermaine and Cain Davey were named as substitutes after returning from holiday.

Colney showed their attacking intent early on and a free kick from Greg Shaw evaded the clutches of Daventry goalkeeper Joe Melling and flashed wide.

A slick move on five minutes almost resulted in the opening goal. Shaw found winger Danny Fitzgerald who exchanged passes with striker Russell Gallagher and then cracked a right-foot shot just over the cross bar.

Against the run of play, Daventry took the lead on 16 minutes. Left back Tom James fired a weak shot into the box and striker Danny Finlay was in position to divert it low into the bottom corner.

Colney attempted to respond and winger Dave Corran saw his header kicked off the line after a good ball from skipper Danny McCafferty.

The match looked poised for second half drama until a fortuitous penalty award handed Daventry a chance to take charge. Humbert slid in for a challenge and cleared the ball before Richard Wesley tumbled over his outstretched leg. The referee pointed to the spot and striker Tommy Berwick stepped up to send Colney goalkeeper Alistair Hill the wrong way for 2-0 in injury time.

Daventry were buoyant at the gift of a second and Berwick thumped a shot high and wide from a glorious position early in the second half.

The visitors struck the third goal on 57 minutes when Hill spilled a shot from Josh O'Grady and Finlay tucked the rebound high into the net.

Substitute Cain Davey added some spark for the Blueboys and just seconds after coming on cracked a shot goalwards forcing Melling to gather smartly.

Colney saw their penalty appeals waved away on 63 minutes when a shot from Shaw appeared to strike the hands of defender Paul Saunders just inside the box.

Daventry wrapped up the scoring on 86 minutes with an exquisite goal as Wesley crossed from the left and substitute Andrew Gordon rose to thump his header into the net.

Daventry Town go on to face local rivals Daventry United at home in the First Round Proper.

London Colney: Hill, Benning, McCafferty, Murphy, Humbert, Shaw, Fitzgerald (C. Davey 59), Beschizza (Dickie 68), Danslow, Gallagher, Corran (J. Davey 59). Unused subs: Butcher, Townsend.

Daventry Town: Melling, Cullen, James (Gordon 61), Godwin (Greatrex 83), Walker, Saunders, O'Grady, Byrne, Berwick, Finlay (Nelson 74), Wesley. Unused subs: Harris, Nelson.

Referee: D. Knight (Dunstable).

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Herts Advertiser