Fisher and Cohen slay Dragons

PUBLISHED: 09:06 02 December 2009 | UPDATED: 14:44 06 May 2010

Gary Cohen was on target.

Gary Cohen was on target.

St Albans City 2 (James Fisher 29, Gary Cohen 90+4) Basingstoke Town 0 James Ronayne at Clarence Park GARY Cohen scored only his second goal of the season as St Albans City returned to winning ways with three points against Basingstoke Town. James Fishe

St Albans City 2 (James Fisher 29, Gary Cohen 90+4)

Basingstoke Town 0

James Ronayne at Clarence Park

GARY Cohen scored only his second goal of the season as St Albans City returned to winning ways with three points against Basingstoke Town.

James Fisher set the Saints on their way with a clinical finish just before the half hour mark and even though Drew Roberts missed a second half penalty City went on to record their first victory in three games with Cohen adding a second deep into second half stoppage time.

Basingstoke's cause wasn't helped by Steve Laidler's dismissal after the midfielder collected two yellow cards but the visitors actually played better when they went down to 10 men.

Steve Castle made one change to the team that lost 2-0 to Bromley on Saturday promoting Cohen back into the starting XI at the expense of Jonathan O'Donnell.

City started on the offensive and a good cross from Peter Smith, once again City's star man, out on the left found a City head in the middle but failed to test Craig Atkinson in the Town goal.

Then Solomon Shields robbed Laidler of possession in midfield and slid the ball in behind for Lamine Sagna but Robbie Rice recovered and cleared behind for a corner.

City took the lead in the 29th minute through a drilled effort from Fisher.

Roberts slipped the ball back down the touchline to Smith who fired over a first time cross. Basingstoke got a header to the initial ball but it only fell to Fisher 12 yards out who fired emphatically past Atkinson.

Minutes later Basingstoke were reduced to ten men when Laidler picked up two yellow cards in the as many minutes.

Firstly he picked up a yellow card for dissent and then he was pulled up for a late challenge on Poku that resulted in an early bath.

Smith smashed the resulting free kick into the Basingstoke box and although the visiting defence headed it clear it only went as far as Fisher who fired over the bar.

A run by Cohen was ended on the edge of the box by a Town challenge and Poku picked up the loose ball only to volley over.

A break by Basingstoke nearly caught City out at the back but Smith was on hand to clear Matt Warner's cross.

A breakdown in communication stopped City from doubling their advantage early in the second half. Roberts crossed from the right and with Cohen steaming in Sagna stuck out a boot to divert it wide and away from Cohen.

A mix up in the City defence saw Quilter try to let the ball go out only to be robbed by Ryan Stephens. David Pratt squared the ball across goal to Rice who had the simple task of putting the ball in the empty net only for the Town skipper to blaze over the bar from close range.

A cross-field ball by Roberts found O'Donnell out on the left. The young midfielder lobbed the ball over Rice but volleyed over the bar from 20 yards.

City were awarded a penalty ten minutes from time when Cohen raced through onto Roberts' through ball only to be hauled down by Town goalkeeper Atkinson.

Atkinson was only shown a yellow and made the most of his reprieve keeping out Roberts' spot kick.

City were given a let off of their own when Quilter was only yellow carded despite bringing Jahson Downes down and being the last man. The resulting free kick was well hit by Sean Hankin but equally well held by Bastock.

City confirmed the win with a second goal in the final minute of added time. Roberts controlled the ball well on his chest on the half way line and dinked a ball down the line. Cohen raced in, rounded Atkinson and rolled the ball into the net from the cutest of angles.

St Albans City: Bastock; Quilter, Clayton, Frater, Smith; Fisher, Shields, Poku, Cohen; Sagna (O'Donnell 65), Roberts.

Subs: Peters, Johnson, Dedman, Emery.

Basingstoke Town: Atkinson; Rice, Franks, Christon (Mitchell 85), Finlay; Ogunbote, Laidler, Williamson, Warner (Hankin 65); Pratt, Stephens (Downes 65).

Subs: Jones, Kitteridge.

Referee: Ian Rathbone (Northampton)

Att: 205

Man of the Match: Peter Smith.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Herts Advertiser. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Herts Advertiser