Colney Heath turn it round in FA Cup win

PUBLISHED: 15:30 13 August 2018

Colney Heath manager Ryan Thompson.

Picture: Karyn Haddon

Colney Heath manager Ryan Thompson. Picture: Karyn Haddon


A textbook example of a game of two halves saw Colney Heath advance in the FA Cup after a 4-1 win at Tuffley Rovers.

Whether it was the 120 miles that the Magpies had to travel to get to their Gloucester opponents can be debated but they turned round 1-0 down after a lacklustre first-half.

But the second period was a completely different story as they came out all guns blazing to fly into the next round.

Three goals in eight minutes did the damage.

Greg Shaw levelled things up on 58 minutes with a powerful header from a Charlie Hunter free-kick and another set-piece three minutes later, again delivered expertly by Hunter, was nodded into the corner by Josh Humbert.

And he bagged his second on 66 minutes with the goal of the match, struck from distance after winning the ball back.

The final goal came in the 90th minute and was all to do with Harvey Scott. He won the ball in midfield and burst through towards the Tuffley goal.

And from just outside the box his cracking shot just had too much sting in it and whistled into the bottom-left corner despite Kane Winman getting his fingertips to it.

There could have been more as well as the Mags relentlessly pushed their hosts back.

Jack Woods had an effort pushed over the bar by the keeper and Shaw went even closer from the resulting corner as he thundered a header off the underside of the bar.

The first half was not as much fun for the travelling army.

Hellenic League Premier Division Tuffley had taken the lead on the stroke of half-time from the penalty spot.

Brett James made a surging run into the Colney Heath area where he was brought down by Spencer Clarke-Mardel.

Warren Mann took the resulting spot kick and drilled the ball low into the corner, sending Charlie May the wrong way.

Colney had chances but lacked a cutting edge. Fortunately they rediscovered it after the break.

They now face Cinderford Town, who play one level higher in the Southern League Division One South, at the Recreation Ground on August 25.

Their next game is a SSML Premier Division match at home to Leverstock Green on Saturday.

More news stories


It’s said to be the most wonderful time of the year, but is it really for everyone?


Tickets have gone on sale for an annual Hertfordshire music festival at a special discounted price.


More than 100 children in St Albans will be homeless this Christmas, according to housing charity Shelter.


Court results published by the Herts Ad are taken from St Albans, Stevenage and Hatfield Magistrates Court and are published without prejudice.

Most read stories

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Read the The Herts Advertiser e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Herts Advertiser weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy