Denys fires Rovers into semi-final

PUBLISHED: 09:22 31 March 2011

Ryan Denys' hat-trick fired Rovers into the next round.

Ryan Denys' hat-trick fired Rovers into the next round.


Ryan Denys scored a superb hat-trick to send Harpenden Rovers into the semi-final of the Aubrey Cup at the expense of high flying Hinton on Saturday.

It was a thoroughly deserved victory for Rovers and capped off a fine team performance from Bob Fowler’s men.

After starting brightly Rovers deservedly took the lead midway through the first half only for Hinton to equalise through some smart play of their own to send the teams in level at the break.

Rovers again started strongly and always looked like they were the team who would grab the vital second goal, however it took a smart save from Rovers ‘keeper Luke Searing to keep the scores level.

It was then left to Denys to score his second to put Rovers back in front and then with around 10 minutes remaining he scored the decisive third. Denys even had time to hit the bar late on with a fantastic lob.

Denys grabbed the plaudits but Fowler said: “It was a real team effort from my players today but nothing more than they deserved. I thought we were excellent and played the game as a cup tie should be played and came out on top. We looked fitter and sharper than them for the majority of the game and now the players can look forward to a cracking semi-final at home to Met Police.”

Rovers Reserves were away to bottom place Bushey, with nine key players missing. However Rovers dominated the first 30 minutes without getting out of first gear and only some woeful finishing and some dreadful refereeing kept the score line at 0-0. The deadlock was broken when Joe Inman sent in a cross for Tom Clarke to header home.

The second half was marginally better and goals came from Martin Smith and Dave Ring to end the game 3-0. Manager Jim Nicholls was disappointed with the performance but pleased with their ninth consecutive Division Two league win and another clean sheet.

Rovers entertain Baldock Town Letchworth FC at home this Saturday in the semi-finals of the Reserve Cup, with Baldock sitting on top of Division One meaning Rovers face a tough task to go through to the final.

Rovers B kept another clean sheet to add to their three straight wins and with it maintained top spot in the league win 4-0 win over local rivals Wheathampstead Res. Scorers were C Coleman, L Cain, J Quinn and M. Livingstone.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Herts Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Herts Advertiser