Fleming Cup success
GOLF: WHEN 18-year-old Joss Gosling (Harpenden Golf Club) and his grandmother, Nancy Hayward (Sunningdale Ladies Golf Club), entered the Fleming Mixed Foursomes event in the autumn of 2010, whilst there may have been hope, it is unlikely that they anticipated that on a warm Wednesday afternoon 12 months later, after many matchplay rounds played at Sunningdale Ladies Golf Club, that they would be holding the trophy as the winners.
This open event has proved to be very popular over many years. Originally set up to provide competition for professional golfers through the winter months it is now popular with professionals and low handicap amateurs.
The pairings are limited to those with a combined handicap of 24 or less with all matches played over the course at Sunningdale Ladies Golf Club.
In the final they were three down after six holes against the experienced pairing of Stewart Zuill and Cathy Panton-Lewis, however once their nerves had settled they managed to play some excellent golf to claw back to all square and eventually go on to win 3 & 2.
Joss and Nancy now join an honours board with such names as Bernard Gallagher, Neil Coles and Craig Defoy, to name but a few, as well as Nancy and her husband some 29 years ago.
You may also want to watch:
Joss now holds what appears to be a unique record in so much as that in 2010 he became the youngest player to become Club Champion at Harpenden Golf Club and now, it is believed, that the 65 year age gap between him and Nancy is the largest of any winners of the Fleming Cup.
- 1 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 2 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 3 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 4 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 5 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 6 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 7 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
- 8 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 9 New vicar comes to Harpenden church
- 10 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game