Fleetville win Junior Wix Cup to break 86-year hoodoo
- Credit: Archant
Fleetville Junior School football team were celebrating after breaking a 86 year hoodoo.
A 3-0 win over Little Green Junior School of Croxley Green handed them the Junior Wix Cup, having previously won it for the one and only time back in 1930.
The victory at the Woollams Playing Fields came courtesy of two goals from captain Harrison Smith and one from George Still.
The Hatfield Road school had to win five games prior to reaching the final.
Cunningham Hill were dispatched 8-2 in the preliminary round before Hitchin’s William Ransom were beaten in the first round.
A tough second round game against Bowmansgreen saw Fleet advance with a 1-0 win and it took extra-time to see off Haberdashers Boys in the quarter-finals.
Their date with destiny was secured with a 3-0 victory over Radlett Prep in the semi-final.
- 1 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 2 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 5 Green light given for St Albans City to hit the transfer market but patience is key says Allinson
- 6 'Visually striking' Chaos Dancing Cosmos installation at St Albans Museum + Gallery
- 7 Obituary: Don Francis, former St Albans City and St Albans Sunday League star
- 8 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 9 MP condemns government over BBC threat
- 10 Allinson happy with the reaction from St Albans City in the draw at Chelmsford
It has been a fantastic season so far for the squad having won all 22 games so far.
It was a double celebration for sports co-ordinator Charlie Lumsdon who won the trophy as a player for Wheatfields Junior School in 2005.
And to complete the occasion handing out the trophies was Nick Sanders, his old teacher.
Fleetville: Reuben McComb, Bayley Bacon, Sam Pendleton, Matti Krajnovic, Charlie McDonald, Will Pearson, Harrison Smith, Jake Berry, Will Lankshear, George Still.