Fleetville School become first ever Wix treble winners
- Credit: Archant
Fleetville Primary School have made history – by becoming the first school to win three Wix Cups.
Fleetville boys had already taken the nine-a-side trophy earlier this year, the first time in 86 years that the school had tasted success in the competition.
But now the Hatfield Road school have followed it up by taking the seven-a-side competitions for both boys and girls.
The tournaments, played at St Albans City’s Clarence Park ground, saw the boys defeat Greneway in the final while the girls saw off Haberdashers Girls.
The Wix trophies were founded in 1901 and organisers confirmed that the feat has never been achieved.
The cup wins are more success in what has been an excellent year for the school.
Both teams walked off with the title in their respective leagues and also secured the win in their respective St Albans Cup Final.
- 1 Is this the future of hospitality in St Albans?
- 2 Teen punched in face and stomach during robbery
- 3 Bank cards stolen from elderly woman
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 What next for Alban Arena and city centre culture?
- 6 IN PICTURES: Alban Pilgrimage returns to city
- 7 St Albans Beer and Cider Festival set to return after two years
- 8 Fight to save village Green Belt from development
- 9 10 reasons to visit this sustainable, family-owned farm shop in St Albans
- 10 Remembering 'Mr Harpenden' - the indomitable Michael Weaver
And it is not just football where the talented school have come out on top.
The year group have also won the St Albans Schools Boys Swimming Gala and the St Albans Schools Tag Rugby Festival.
Girls squad: Imogen Warwick, Marnie Bertram, Milly Oliver, Isabel Habbick, Ida Sondergaard, Charlotte Nelson, Sophie Bailes, Eliza Telford, Mia Pullan.
Boys squad: Reuben McComb, Bayley Bacon, Charlie McDonald, Sam Pendleton, Matti Krajnovic, Will Pearson, Jake Berry, George Still, Will Lankshear, Harrison Smith.