Five-star St Albans City thrash Bishop’s Stortford
- Credit: Archant
St Albans City put in a five-star performance away to Hertfordshire rivals Bishop’s Stortford – but they had to wait a while to click into gear.
As the clock ticked past the hour mark at Woodside Park, neither side had found a breakthrough.
But a header from Tom Bender, back after a three-match ban, changed that and opened the floodgates.
Three minutes later a Sam Merson header made it two and four further minutes later it was three thanks to Louie Theophanous.
Saints’ top scorer then hit his 13th of the campaign with five minutes to go before Stortford got a consolation through Femi Akinwande.
You may also want to watch:
However, it was City who had the final word when substitute Junior Morias, like Bender making his return from suspension, made it five.
It was City’s fourth win on the bounce following victory over Gosport Borough in the league and Worthing and Egham Town in the FA Cup.
- 1 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 2 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 3 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 4 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 5 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
- 6 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 7 St Albans crowned UK's cleanest city
- 8 Football club donates pitch to St Albans primary school
- 9 St Albans woman recognised with Queen's Award
- 10 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans
It lifts them into fifth place, above Ebbsfleet United and back into the play-offs in Vanarama National League South.
Photographers Leigh Page and Bob Walkley were at the game to capture all the action.
St Albans face Truro City this Saturday at Clarence Park.
Kick-off is at 3pm.