Five-star St Albans City thrash Bishop’s Stortford
- Credit: Archant
St Albans City put in a five-star performance away to Hertfordshire rivals Bishop’s Stortford – but they had to wait a while to click into gear.
As the clock ticked past the hour mark at Woodside Park, neither side had found a breakthrough.
But a header from Tom Bender, back after a three-match ban, changed that and opened the floodgates.
Three minutes later a Sam Merson header made it two and four further minutes later it was three thanks to Louie Theophanous.
Saints’ top scorer then hit his 13th of the campaign with five minutes to go before Stortford got a consolation through Femi Akinwande.
You may also want to watch:
However, it was City who had the final word when substitute Junior Morias, like Bender making his return from suspension, made it five.
It was City’s fourth win on the bounce following victory over Gosport Borough in the league and Worthing and Egham Town in the FA Cup.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 2 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 3 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 4 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 5 Shortages crisis hits district
- 6 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 7 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
- 8 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 9 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
- 10 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
It lifts them into fifth place, above Ebbsfleet United and back into the play-offs in Vanarama National League South.
Photographers Leigh Page and Bob Walkley were at the game to capture all the action.
St Albans face Truro City this Saturday at Clarence Park.
Kick-off is at 3pm.