Five points deducted from Old Albanian
- Credit: Archant
Ineligible players fielded in January 31 win over Fylde
Old Albanian’s bid to stay in National League One has been thrown into disarray after NCA Rugby, the league’s governing body, deducted five points for fielding ineligible players.
The incident occurred in the January 31 win over Fylde. OAs selected two players who had not been re-registered with the club since returning from loan spells at Civil Service Rugby.
It is a huge blow for the Woollams-based outfit who looked to have all but secured their status in the league for another year after Saturday’s 50-26 win over Macclesfield, see inside for report and reaction, which lifted them 10 points clear of danger.
Instead, their closest rivals, Cinderford, have been given a lifeline in their efforts to avoid relegation to level four.
You may also want to watch:
OAs blamed the mistake on an ‘administration error’. They did, however, successfully half the penalty, which was initially 10 points, five for each ineligible player.
The deduction means OAs are five points clear of the relegation zone with four games remaining.
- 1 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 2 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 3 Freedom Day delay is a financial blow to local businesses
- 4 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 5 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 6 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 7 Check in to the Supper Club for something different
- 8 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 9 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 10 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan
Their run-in sees them travel to Esher and Darlington Mowden Park either side of a home tie against Hartpury College before the final game of the season at home to Tynedale.