Five for Newman in Challenge Trophy
LONDON Colney’s Matt Newman struck five times as his Premier Division side beat Division Two’s Caddington 8-0 in the SSML Challenge Trophy first round on Tuesday night.
The Blueboys, back to full strength, took only 55 seconds to take the lead.
Craig Knightley slipped the ball to Newman who turned and struck a low shot past keeper Gareth Fear.
On 10 minutes it was 2-0 after Jimmy Warner drove the ball home from the edge of the box.
Five minutes later Warner was brought down in the box, no penalty was given but Newman seized on the loose ball and smashed it past Fear.
It became 4-0 when Knightley sent a terrific curling shot over Fear from 25 yards.
In the second half the Blueboys continued to press.
- 1 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's West Common
- 5 London Colney children will be going nuts for this new Scouts group
- 6 St Albans recycling heroes raise £28K for hospice
- 7 Obituary: Don Francis, former St Albans City and St Albans Sunday League star
- 8 Seven men arrested on suspicion of St Albans burglary
- 9 Primary school rated 'Good' in latest Ofsted report
- 10 Video shows thief stealing parcel from St Albans home doorstep
On 51 minutes it was 5-0 when Newman drove home a penalty to complete his hat-trick after Knightley was fouled.
Knightley headed in number six before Newman grabbed his fourth after being picked out by Dave Keenleyside.
The final goal of the night went to Newman as he tucked the ball past Fear, who despite being beating eight times performed well between the sticks.
This Saturday London Colney travel away to Hertford Town in the Premier Division.