Five for Newman in Challenge Trophy
LONDON Colney’s Matt Newman struck five times as his Premier Division side beat Division Two’s Caddington 8-0 in the SSML Challenge Trophy first round on Tuesday night.
The Blueboys, back to full strength, took only 55 seconds to take the lead.
Craig Knightley slipped the ball to Newman who turned and struck a low shot past keeper Gareth Fear.
On 10 minutes it was 2-0 after Jimmy Warner drove the ball home from the edge of the box.
Five minutes later Warner was brought down in the box, no penalty was given but Newman seized on the loose ball and smashed it past Fear.
You may also want to watch:
It became 4-0 when Knightley sent a terrific curling shot over Fear from 25 yards.
In the second half the Blueboys continued to press.
- 1 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 4 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 5 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 8 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor
- 9 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
- 10 St Albans Folk Festival 2021 to go ahead this weekend
On 51 minutes it was 5-0 when Newman drove home a penalty to complete his hat-trick after Knightley was fouled.
Knightley headed in number six before Newman grabbed his fourth after being picked out by Dave Keenleyside.
The final goal of the night went to Newman as he tucked the ball past Fear, who despite being beating eight times performed well between the sticks.
This Saturday London Colney travel away to Hertford Town in the Premier Division.