Fitzgerald nets Colney a point
Molten Spartan South Midlands Premier Division Cockfosters 2 London Colney 2 DANNY Fitzgerald secured London Colney a point in a dramatic clash at Cockfosters on Tuesday in the Molten Spartan South Midlands Premier Division. Colney went behind when Dan O
Molten Spartan South Midlands Premier Division
Cockfosters 2 London Colney 2
DANNY Fitzgerald secured London Colney a point in a dramatic clash at Cockfosters on Tuesday in the Molten Spartan South Midlands Premier Division.
Colney went behind when Dan O'Connor pounced to fire home after a cross bounced off the far post. The strike was the 100th goal the Blueboys have conceded in the league this season.
You may also want to watch:
The Blueboys found themselves 2-0 down when Dave Pigden won a penalty after the referee pointed to the spot following a challenge by goalkeeper Stuart McHale. O'Connor stepped up and fired home to give the hosts a commanding lead.
Sam Mitchell, Dominic Haynes, Cain Davey and the excellent Fitzgerald all went close to pulling a goal back for the Blueboys in the first half.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 5 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 6 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 9 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 10 St Albans City over bad start says Chris Winton as improved results and performances continue against Havant
At the start of the second period, Davey fired in a low drive which was palmed out by goalkeeper Lee Walker into the path of Mitchell, who drove home his maiden first-team goal for Colney.
The Blueboys suddenly looked confident and Fitzgerald fired over the top with Davey forcing Walker to extend himself with a good save.
The menacing Fitzgerald shot just wide and was then felled by Walker outside the box, resulting in a yellow card for the goalkeeper. Davey surged clear and forced Walker to save again before the late drama.
Fitzgerald robbed Walker of possession and rounded the beleaguered goalkeeper before sweeping the ball home from an acute angle for 2-2.
London Colney host Harefield United in the Premier Division on Saturday with a 3pm kick off at Cotlandswick.
London Colney: McHale, Benning, McCafferty, Murphy, Paradise, Butcher (Townsend), Mitchell, White (O'Toole), Haynes, Davey, Fitzgerald. Unused subs: Crowe, Purdue.