Fitzgerald nets Colney a point
Molten Spartan South Midlands Premier Division Cockfosters 2 London Colney 2 DANNY Fitzgerald secured London Colney a point in a dramatic clash at Cockfosters on Tuesday in the Molten Spartan South Midlands Premier Division. Colney went behind when Dan O
Molten Spartan South Midlands Premier Division
Cockfosters 2 London Colney 2
DANNY Fitzgerald secured London Colney a point in a dramatic clash at Cockfosters on Tuesday in the Molten Spartan South Midlands Premier Division.
Colney went behind when Dan O'Connor pounced to fire home after a cross bounced off the far post. The strike was the 100th goal the Blueboys have conceded in the league this season.
You may also want to watch:
The Blueboys found themselves 2-0 down when Dave Pigden won a penalty after the referee pointed to the spot following a challenge by goalkeeper Stuart McHale. O'Connor stepped up and fired home to give the hosts a commanding lead.
Sam Mitchell, Dominic Haynes, Cain Davey and the excellent Fitzgerald all went close to pulling a goal back for the Blueboys in the first half.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 3 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 4 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 5 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 10 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
At the start of the second period, Davey fired in a low drive which was palmed out by goalkeeper Lee Walker into the path of Mitchell, who drove home his maiden first-team goal for Colney.
The Blueboys suddenly looked confident and Fitzgerald fired over the top with Davey forcing Walker to extend himself with a good save.
The menacing Fitzgerald shot just wide and was then felled by Walker outside the box, resulting in a yellow card for the goalkeeper. Davey surged clear and forced Walker to save again before the late drama.
Fitzgerald robbed Walker of possession and rounded the beleaguered goalkeeper before sweeping the ball home from an acute angle for 2-2.
London Colney host Harefield United in the Premier Division on Saturday with a 3pm kick off at Cotlandswick.
London Colney: McHale, Benning, McCafferty, Murphy, Paradise, Butcher (Townsend), Mitchell, White (O'Toole), Haynes, Davey, Fitzgerald. Unused subs: Crowe, Purdue.