Fitzgerald nets Colney a point
Molten Spartan South Midlands Premier Division Cockfosters 2 London Colney 2 DANNY Fitzgerald secured London Colney a point in a dramatic clash at Cockfosters on Tuesday in the Molten Spartan South Midlands Premier Division. Colney went behind when Dan O
Molten Spartan South Midlands Premier Division
Cockfosters 2 London Colney 2
DANNY Fitzgerald secured London Colney a point in a dramatic clash at Cockfosters on Tuesday in the Molten Spartan South Midlands Premier Division.
Colney went behind when Dan O'Connor pounced to fire home after a cross bounced off the far post. The strike was the 100th goal the Blueboys have conceded in the league this season.
The Blueboys found themselves 2-0 down when Dave Pigden won a penalty after the referee pointed to the spot following a challenge by goalkeeper Stuart McHale. O'Connor stepped up and fired home to give the hosts a commanding lead.
Sam Mitchell, Dominic Haynes, Cain Davey and the excellent Fitzgerald all went close to pulling a goal back for the Blueboys in the first half.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 4 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 5 From St Albans to the Australian outback for The Tourist's Shalom Brune-Franklin in BBC One series
- 6 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 7 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 8 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 9 Ian Allinson praises 'unbelievable shift' of St Albans City players against Maidstone
- 10 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
At the start of the second period, Davey fired in a low drive which was palmed out by goalkeeper Lee Walker into the path of Mitchell, who drove home his maiden first-team goal for Colney.
The Blueboys suddenly looked confident and Fitzgerald fired over the top with Davey forcing Walker to extend himself with a good save.
The menacing Fitzgerald shot just wide and was then felled by Walker outside the box, resulting in a yellow card for the goalkeeper. Davey surged clear and forced Walker to save again before the late drama.
Fitzgerald robbed Walker of possession and rounded the beleaguered goalkeeper before sweeping the ball home from an acute angle for 2-2.
London Colney host Harefield United in the Premier Division on Saturday with a 3pm kick off at Cotlandswick.
London Colney: McHale, Benning, McCafferty, Murphy, Paradise, Butcher (Townsend), Mitchell, White (O'Toole), Haynes, Davey, Fitzgerald. Unused subs: Crowe, Purdue.