Fishing Club in Colney Heath on the lookout for new members
- Credit: Archant
A down-on-their-luck fishing club is hoping to boost their dwindling membership.
Colney Heath De Havilland Angling Club, who fish on Colney Heath lakes, have been around since the 60s.
However they have seen their numbers decrease over the years and are now actively seeking new members.
And club secretary, Emma Connolly, explained how they are they are taking to social media in an attempt to attract young people to the club.
She said: “It was a booming club but like any club, people get old and we have no new, younger members coming through.
“I recently joined the club as secretary to help us get more coverage through Facebook and Twitter and hopefully we can recruit more members.
“At the moment we have around 60 people. The youngest are around eight or nine, who come with their father’s and there are some about 14 or 15.”
- 1 Recap: Rail delays through St Albans and Harpenden after train hits branch
- 2 Fire crews receive 'multiple' 999 calls amid large blaze at Welham Green
- 3 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
- 4 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 5 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 6 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 7 New play areas open at Harpenden parks
- 8 Recap: Two crashes disrupting M1 and M25 drivers near St Albans
- 9 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 10 Church welcomes gay community event as part of St Albans Pub Pride
The lakes, just behind Colney Heath Football Club, on High Street, used to be working quarries and the club started when the landowners said they were happy to turn the sites into lakes.
The name came about because a lot of the original members worked at the De Havilland site in Hatfield.
Emma added: “The lakes are quite quiet and sometimes there can just be a few of you down there.”
Anyone wishing to join should go to Colney Tackle fishing shop in Haseldine Road, London Colney, for a registration form.
Or for more information www.facebook.com/Colney-Heath-De-Havilland-Angling-Society-490366577780404/