Fishing Club in Colney Heath on the lookout for new members
- Credit: Archant
A down-on-their-luck fishing club is hoping to boost their dwindling membership.
Colney Heath De Havilland Angling Club, who fish on Colney Heath lakes, have been around since the 60s.
However they have seen their numbers decrease over the years and are now actively seeking new members.
And club secretary, Emma Connolly, explained how they are they are taking to social media in an attempt to attract young people to the club.
She said: “It was a booming club but like any club, people get old and we have no new, younger members coming through.
You may also want to watch:
“I recently joined the club as secretary to help us get more coverage through Facebook and Twitter and hopefully we can recruit more members.
“At the moment we have around 60 people. The youngest are around eight or nine, who come with their father’s and there are some about 14 or 15.”
- 1 Can you help after man left unconscious outside St Albans pub?
- 2 Birthday charity walks in brother's memory
- 3 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 4 Driver hospitalised after three-vehicle accident on M1 near Redbourn
- 5 Market trader says goodbye to beard after 15 years
- 6 Light at the end of the gulley for long-running flooding
- 7 Lease up for grabs on vacant Batchwood Hall building
- 8 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 9 Fashionistas flock to Cathedral catwalk extravaganza
- 10 St Albans named among UK's most family-friendly cities
The lakes, just behind Colney Heath Football Club, on High Street, used to be working quarries and the club started when the landowners said they were happy to turn the sites into lakes.
The name came about because a lot of the original members worked at the De Havilland site in Hatfield.
Emma added: “The lakes are quite quiet and sometimes there can just be a few of you down there.”
Anyone wishing to join should go to Colney Tackle fishing shop in Haseldine Road, London Colney, for a registration form.
Or for more information www.facebook.com/Colney-Heath-De-Havilland-Angling-Society-490366577780404/