Fishing Club in Colney Heath on the lookout for new members
- Credit: Archant
A down-on-their-luck fishing club is hoping to boost their dwindling membership.
Colney Heath De Havilland Angling Club, who fish on Colney Heath lakes, have been around since the 60s.
However they have seen their numbers decrease over the years and are now actively seeking new members.
And club secretary, Emma Connolly, explained how they are they are taking to social media in an attempt to attract young people to the club.
She said: “It was a booming club but like any club, people get old and we have no new, younger members coming through.
You may also want to watch:
“I recently joined the club as secretary to help us get more coverage through Facebook and Twitter and hopefully we can recruit more members.
“At the moment we have around 60 people. The youngest are around eight or nine, who come with their father’s and there are some about 14 or 15.”
- 1 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 4 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
- 5 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
- 6 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 7 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 8 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 9 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 10 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
The lakes, just behind Colney Heath Football Club, on High Street, used to be working quarries and the club started when the landowners said they were happy to turn the sites into lakes.
The name came about because a lot of the original members worked at the De Havilland site in Hatfield.
Emma added: “The lakes are quite quiet and sometimes there can just be a few of you down there.”
Anyone wishing to join should go to Colney Tackle fishing shop in Haseldine Road, London Colney, for a registration form.
Or for more information www.facebook.com/Colney-Heath-De-Havilland-Angling-Society-490366577780404/