Verulam Reallymoving’s Will Smith takes overall win in first ever stage race
- Credit: Archant
Verulam Reallymoving’s Will Smith took the overall win in his first ever stage race.
The U14 racer took the title at the Cyclopark Youth Summer event at Gravesend, where the two stages were run on the same day.
And after winning the 1.3km time trial, his sixth place in the 45-minute road race was enough to put him on top of the overall standings.
He said: “For the Road Race I knew what I needed to do; stop any breakaways going, leave it to a sprint and try to stop any time splits.
“I spent the whole race in about the top seven places so I could watch for moves and I was perfectly placed until the last 300 metres where I somehow found myself on the front, so I decided to go full gas to the line.”
You may also want to watch:
He was passed by the second and third in the time trial but with no time gaps he took the win.
Elsewhere Karine Jones was third at one of the Berkhamsted Castle Revolutions circuit races.
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 4 St Albans City 'got away with it' says boss after snatching FA Cup replay at Corinthian Casuals
- 5 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 6 Harpenden High Street Covid road closures to end imminently
- 7 Brilliant Breakfast goes down a treat with the women of St Albans
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 10 Haunting music and ghostly maids - the dark streets of St Albans
The team now looks forward to competing in the Redbourn Fete du Velo on Sunday.
Co-run by The Hub and the Verulam Cycling Club, this will be the sixth year of this popular event that is based around the village green at Redbourn.
The day covers racing for all categories with a focus on supporting the community with extensive youth and novice events.