First shot at a cup final ends in disappointment for Harpenden Town
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Town missed out on a place in the Herts Centenary Trophy final after a 4-2 defeat away to Bishop’s Stortford Swifts.
It was the first of two chances to make a cup final this season for Town, who face Hadley in a Herts Charity Shield semi-final clash.
Manager Danny Plumb said: “I am really disappointed. We could have played better and taken our chances.”
Harpenden started brightly, with an audacious lob from the halfway line from Jimmy Hill drifting just wide.
But he kept plugging away and finally found the net, blasting home form outside the penalty area after an Alex Yearwood pass.
You may also want to watch:
It would be the only time Harpenden would be in front.
Goals from Leigh Muldoon and Steve Moore put the Swifts 2-1 up at half-time, with the former grabbing his second on 62 minutes to extend the hosts’ lead.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 8 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 9 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 10 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
Harpenden responded instantly and narrowed the gap again to one just a minute later.
Yearwood was again the provider, this time a low cross from the left was slotted home by Mike Davis from five yards.
But the game was ended as a contest with 14 minutes to go.
Gavin Cockman got on the end of a long ball, beat the keeper and slid the ball into the net for 4-2.
Harpenden are next in action against Winslow United at Rothamsted Park tomorrow (Tuesday) with a 7.45pm kick-off.
That is followed by another home tie when then entertain Southall on Saturday at 3pm.