First shot at a cup final ends in disappointment for Harpenden Town
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Town missed out on a place in the Herts Centenary Trophy final after a 4-2 defeat away to Bishop’s Stortford Swifts.
It was the first of two chances to make a cup final this season for Town, who face Hadley in a Herts Charity Shield semi-final clash.
Manager Danny Plumb said: “I am really disappointed. We could have played better and taken our chances.”
Harpenden started brightly, with an audacious lob from the halfway line from Jimmy Hill drifting just wide.
But he kept plugging away and finally found the net, blasting home form outside the penalty area after an Alex Yearwood pass.
You may also want to watch:
It would be the only time Harpenden would be in front.
Goals from Leigh Muldoon and Steve Moore put the Swifts 2-1 up at half-time, with the former grabbing his second on 62 minutes to extend the hosts’ lead.
- 1 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 2 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 3 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 4 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 5 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 6 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 7 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
- 8 New vicar comes to Harpenden church
- 9 Olympian Max Whitlock opens new Harpenden leisure centre
- 10 Vote for your favourite restaurant in Chamber of Commerce poll
Harpenden responded instantly and narrowed the gap again to one just a minute later.
Yearwood was again the provider, this time a low cross from the left was slotted home by Mike Davis from five yards.
But the game was ended as a contest with 14 minutes to go.
Gavin Cockman got on the end of a long ball, beat the keeper and slid the ball into the net for 4-2.
Harpenden are next in action against Winslow United at Rothamsted Park tomorrow (Tuesday) with a 7.45pm kick-off.
That is followed by another home tie when then entertain Southall on Saturday at 3pm.