First shot at a cup final ends in disappointment for Harpenden Town
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Town missed out on a place in the Herts Centenary Trophy final after a 4-2 defeat away to Bishop’s Stortford Swifts.
It was the first of two chances to make a cup final this season for Town, who face Hadley in a Herts Charity Shield semi-final clash.
Manager Danny Plumb said: “I am really disappointed. We could have played better and taken our chances.”
Harpenden started brightly, with an audacious lob from the halfway line from Jimmy Hill drifting just wide.
But he kept plugging away and finally found the net, blasting home form outside the penalty area after an Alex Yearwood pass.
It would be the only time Harpenden would be in front.
Goals from Leigh Muldoon and Steve Moore put the Swifts 2-1 up at half-time, with the former grabbing his second on 62 minutes to extend the hosts’ lead.
- 1 Suspected loan sharks arrested in Hemel Hempstead
- 2 See inside this loft style apartment in a former hat factory
- 3 Train timetable shakeup due in St Albans and Watford from May 15
- 4 Woman found in canal near M25 in Hertfordshire
- 5 St Albans shop showcasing small independents by renting out shelves
- 6 Nearly 100 motorway cameras upgraded to catch drivers who flout red X rules
- 7 Harpenden neighbours condemn plans for builders merchant next to residential properties
- 8 Building company resurfaces bridleway to provide safe route for riders and walkers
- 9 Revealed: Most popular Deliveroo takeaway dishes in St Albans
- 10 Missing 25-year-old last seen in Coreys Mill Lane found in Stevenage
Harpenden responded instantly and narrowed the gap again to one just a minute later.
Yearwood was again the provider, this time a low cross from the left was slotted home by Mike Davis from five yards.
But the game was ended as a contest with 14 minutes to go.
Gavin Cockman got on the end of a long ball, beat the keeper and slid the ball into the net for 4-2.
Harpenden are next in action against Winslow United at Rothamsted Park tomorrow (Tuesday) with a 7.45pm kick-off.
That is followed by another home tie when then entertain Southall on Saturday at 3pm.