First national tennis title for Harpenden’s Monica Becerra
- Credit: Archant
Monica Becerra, from Harpenden Lawn Tennis Club, has taken her first national title on any surface by winning the Over 50s Ladies Singles British Grass Court Championship.
This national closed event was held at Surbiton Lawn Tennis Club in Surrey, but due to rain the finals were moved from grass to artificial clay courts, requiring adaptability from the players.
Becerra was seeded number two at the tournament based on her ITF (International Tennis Federation) ranking of 43, and in the final played the top seed, Lianne Tapson, ranked a few places above her.
It was the first time the pair had met and the change of court surface, coupled with high winds, led to challenging conditions for both players.
Becerra emerged victorious in two sets, 6-3, 6-4.
You may also want to watch:
The title win has capped a highly successful year for the Harpenden member, who was selected to play for Great Britain in the World Team Championship in Helsinki in June, where they finished in a creditable sixth position.
She said: “This has been an awesome tennis year for me and I am delighted with the results this year, some of which came in really difficult conditions.”
- 1 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 St Albans Chamber's Not St George's Day event is a smash success
- 4 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 5 Fly-tipped rubbish near Heartwood Forest set to be cleared
- 6 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 7 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 8 Harpenden Christmas Carnival returns for 2021
- 9 St Albans named among Britain's best places for first-time buyer discounts
- 10 Apply for free tickets to be in the audience of The Masked Singer UK in Hertfordshire