Fighting Sutton finally subside to Walden
- Credit: Archant
Long Sutton fought back on to level terms twice but in the end Saffron Walden were too good, had too much flair and were too ruthless for their opponents.
Ben Wells opened the scoring after 10 minutes with his second goal of the season.
Sutton equalised soon after as they benefitted from a loose pass out of Walden’s defence.
Captain Matt Wells and Tom Kemp both forced a number of fine saves from the Sutton goalkeeper but it took a glorious reverse stick strike from Tom Jefferies to finally put Walden back in front. A lead they took in the break.
Sutton hauled themselves back into the game with an early, second half-half equaliser, again profitting from a defensive mistake, but Kemp had Walden back in front from a penalty corner.
You may also want to watch:
The skipper wrapped up a comfortable win with a classy finish into the top corner from the tightest of angles.
n Other results: men’s 2nds 1 Cambs University 3rds 0; men’s 3rds 3 Wapping 5ths 6; ladies 1sts 0 Bromley and Beckenham 1; ladies 3rds 12 Bishop’s Stortford 3rds 0; ladies 4ths 4 Royston 2nds 1; ladies 5ths 3 Bedford 4ths 2; ladies 7ths 4 Hertford 4ths 2.
- 1 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 2 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 3 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 4 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 5 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 6 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 7 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 8 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 9 St Albans activist joins protest blocking M25
- 10 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End