Fighting Sutton finally subside to Walden
- Credit: Archant
Long Sutton fought back on to level terms twice but in the end Saffron Walden were too good, had too much flair and were too ruthless for their opponents.
Ben Wells opened the scoring after 10 minutes with his second goal of the season.
Sutton equalised soon after as they benefitted from a loose pass out of Walden’s defence.
Captain Matt Wells and Tom Kemp both forced a number of fine saves from the Sutton goalkeeper but it took a glorious reverse stick strike from Tom Jefferies to finally put Walden back in front. A lead they took in the break.
Sutton hauled themselves back into the game with an early, second half-half equaliser, again profitting from a defensive mistake, but Kemp had Walden back in front from a penalty corner.
You may also want to watch:
The skipper wrapped up a comfortable win with a classy finish into the top corner from the tightest of angles.
n Other results: men’s 2nds 1 Cambs University 3rds 0; men’s 3rds 3 Wapping 5ths 6; ladies 1sts 0 Bromley and Beckenham 1; ladies 3rds 12 Bishop’s Stortford 3rds 0; ladies 4ths 4 Royston 2nds 1; ladies 5ths 3 Bedford 4ths 2; ladies 7ths 4 Hertford 4ths 2.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 4 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 5 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 10 Charity founder cancels Channel swim after suffering long Covid