Fifth and fourth places for Striders men and women in MK
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Striders were out in force at cross country races over the weekend.
On Saturday, 29 men and 16 women took part in the third fixture of the Chiltern League at Campbell Park, Milton Keynes. The challenging course involved some steep ascents and sharp descents.
The scorers for the men’s team, who came fifth in the first division, were: Paul Adams (13th), Steve Buckle (43rd), Steve Cockrell (51st), Andy Auld (61st), Graham Smith (64th), Mark Castleton (66th), Gary Warren (69th), Cathal Gallagher (72nd), Ed Blake (79th) and Joe Dunn (53).
The women’s team came fourth and led home by Wendy Webster (13th), followed by Deborah Steer
(15th), Lucy Waterlow (19th) and Amy Tanner (36th).
You may also want to watch:
Zoe Lowe (41st), Christine Pout (47th), Mandy Attree (64th) and Liz Walls (66th) ensured the vets team were second.
Elsewhere on Saturday, Doug Hobson and Claire Simm ran the Santa cross country 10k at Heveningham Hall, Suffolk. Doug came fourth and Claire was fourth female. Jack Brooks completed the Stratford on Avon Cricket Club Trail Marathon in 4hrs 56mins.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 4 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 5 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
- 6 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 7 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 8 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 9 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 10 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
The following day at the Sunday cross country League, 11 men and four women took on the undulating five mile course at Trent. At the 5.3 mile Woodbridge cross country race, Doug Hobson finished 48th with a time of 37mins 30secs.
Over 1,200 runners, including 18 Striders, took part in the Bedford half marathon on Sunday. Martin Whitworth (37th in 1hr 22mins) and Vince Williams (48th in 1hr 23mins) were the first Strider men to finish while Lucy Martin was the first Strider female to finish in a personal best time of 1hr 45mins.
Also competing were: Hallam Smallpiece, Richard Todd, Anthony Rowlands, Paul Earnshaw, Stephen Kelly, Richard Olney, Chris Davies, Marc Phillips, Andrew Maher, Melanie Orchard, Peter Rogers, Nicky Poulain, Donna Hodges, Jason Hodges and Judith Beard.