Fete du Velo joy as Verulam rack up wins
- Credit: Archant
A thoroughly well-attended and supported Fete du Velo in Redbourn was also a happy hunting ground for host club Verulam Cycling Club and their racing arm, Verulam ReallyMoving.
Sunday’s day-long event, centered on the Common, saw plenty of races alongside activities for the family.
And it got off to a perfect start for Verulam ReallyMoving with Beth Watson taking first in the U12 Girls, Jamie Maxen second in the U14 Boys and Matt Watson sprinting to third in the U16 Boys.
Team manager Marcel Six was delighted with the youngsters results.
He said: “We’re very focussed on developing the youth squad of this team, and today’s results just prove that we’ve now become a major force in bike racing in this region.
You may also want to watch:
“Hopefully seeing our team winning today will attract talent to join us, and inspire others to get involved in the sport, try racing, and if they show promise and enthusiasm, then potentially join our racing squad.
“We’ve got ambitious plans for youths, women and seniors in 2018, and our results this year are demonstrating that we’ll be able to achieve those.”
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 2 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 3 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 4 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 5 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 6 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 7 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 8 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 9 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
- 10 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
There was a strong ‘home’ presence in the senior men’s race, with seven from the club starting.
It ended in a bunch sprint won by Six with Clay Davies third.
Paul McGrath, who had earlier jumped into a good break, recovered to finish fourth.
Verulam CC chairman, Doug Driscoll praised the efforts of all involved in the Redbourn event, which was organised as a joint venture between Verulam CC and The Bike Loft in Redbourn.
He said: “Together we’ve put on an excellent day of racing and cycling related family fun. Well done and thank you for all the hard work involved.
“It’s great to see so many people getting involved in cycling in Hertfordshire.”
Earlier in the week the Verulam ReallyMoving racing team had enjoyed further success on the velodrome at Welwyn, with Michael Parry and Jamie Maxen both delivering wins in the Welwyn Friday League, and Andy Whale winning an incident-filled HHCC Bovingdon Bomber Criterium.
McGrath, Davies and Six all hit the deck during the race with Six getting up to finish third and James Hedley-Smith coming eighth.