Falcons face Mets in must-win game; Team UK head to Italy
- Credit: Archant
Herts Falcons are preparing for their biggest game of the season so far as they travel to London Mets this Sunday, July 13, aiming to get right back into the play-off race.
If they win both games of the double-header they will be within one game of the Mets and may even move into the play-offs depending on other results. The games will be played in Finsbury Park and Herts are expected to have a good number of travelling fans supporting them.
The two teams met on opening day of the 2014 season and shared a win each. The pressure is on the Falcons to win both games on this occasion as they need to catch up with the rest of the pack.
At the weekend only two Hertfordshire teams were in league action. The Herts Hawks made a dramatic comeback to tie their game with Daws Hill Spitfires going into the ninth and final inning, but failed to pull the trigger as their defence allowed five runs in that final inning and lost 14-9.
Herts Raptors are still in search of their first win of the season. They were beaten convincingly 24-6 by the Brentwood Bucks.
You may also want to watch:
In the U17 leagues, the Southern Conference overcame the Northern and Midlands Conference to secure their place in the Europe and Africa qualification stage of the 2014 Little League World Series.
These games will be played between July 7-12 in Novara, Italy. The Southern Conference All Star team, which will compete as UK’s representative, is already in Italy. It features players from the Herts Harriers, London Mets and the LYBL Bulldogs.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 5 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 6 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 7 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 8 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 9 St Albans City over bad start says Chris Winton as improved results and performances continue against Havant
- 10 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
Team UK has been placed in a very competitive group with Belgium, Spain and the Czech Republic, which is a country making major strides and attracting a lot of attention from the multi-million dollar teams of Major League Baseball in America.
The games involving Team UK will be televised on the internet throughout the week. Visit www.hertsbaseball.com for more details and links to the TV coverage and more of these exciting international games. The winner will progress to the Little League World Series which is shown live on ESPN around the world.