Fab four hand St Albans City dominant win over Frome Town

ST Albans City put in a classy display sweeping aside Frome Town 4-0 this afternoon [Saturday] in a game in which they opened the scoring after just 38 seconds.

The Saints, who had four different scorers at Clarence Park, have won two and drawn one of their first three Evo-Stik League Southern Premier matches.

St Albans flew out of the blocks having kicked-off.

They played the ball down the right wing to dangerman Sean Shields, his cross to the far post found Richard Graham who looped a header over keeper Darren Chitty and into the net leaving The Robins stunned.

The City faithful were still celebrating their side’s blistering start when they doubled their lead on seven minutes.

This time striker Lewis Toomey toe-poked the ball into the left flank for Graham to turn provider by knocking into the middle for ex-Fulham man Barry Hayles to nod home his second goal in two games.

City dominated the first period and could have added a third as Curtis Ujah headed off target, Toomey rifled over from 20 yards and Chris Seeby, making his 200th appearance for the club, was denied by Chitty.

Most Read

Toomey maintained his fine scoring start to the season on 25 minutes when he claimed his fourth goal in three Evo-Stik League games.

Seeby’s ball forward was touched down by Hayles and Toomey flashed a thunderous right footed half-volley beyond Chitty from 20 yards.

Frome struggled to match The Saints’ pace and power, they also found central defenders James Gray and Curtis Ujah in stubborn mood.

The visitors recorded just one first half effort on goal.

Toomey flashed another volley across the face of goal and then his cross just evaded strike partner Hayles.

Five minutes before half-time the heavens opened and a downpour soaked Clarence Park.

After the break Frome, to their credit, started brighter with Matt Smith firing just wide of Nick Jupp’s goal.

The Somerset side went even closer soon after as Jamie Lyon’s well struck free-kick beat Jupp, but came back off the right hand upright before being hacked clear by Gray.

For the hosts David Ijaha, in his 50th Saints match, powered forward from his own half and shot just wide from the edge of the area.

Frome again looked to threaten from a set-piece, this time from a corner.

Lyons’ inswinger was met by the head of Smith who saw his attempt deflected over by Jupp.

The visitors had a penalty appeal turned down when Lyons collided with Gray in the box after a Dave Thompson long throw.

The main cause for concern for City was a late challenge on Toomey which left the striker in a heap clutching his knee.

He was substituted with Chris Henry taking his place, although manager David Howell later confirmed he withdrew Toomey as a precaution.

Henry was straight in the thick of the action and exchanged passes with Shields inside the box, winger Shields calmly slotted home into the bottom left corner past Chitty on 64 minutes to make the score 4-0.

With the game dead and buried Frome looked to get something to cheer, but a Thompson free-kick found Lyons who had a volley well-blocked by Seeby and late on Dean Evans looped a header just over Jupp’s goal.

Gray headed a corner from Graham over for The Saints, Shields saw an effort held by Chitty and in the final attack of the match Hayles side-footed wide when well placed.

City were very comfortable winners and will expect a tougher test when they travel to Chesham United on Bank Holiday Monday, kick-off 3pm.