FA Cup trip to Ashford Town this weekend for St Albans City
ST Albans City take a break from their Evo-Stik League Southern Premier Division promotion push for the next two weekends as they turn their attentions to firstly the FA Cup and then the FA Trophy.
City manager David Howell takes his side away to Ashford Town (Middx) in the second round qualifying of the FA Cup on Saturday.
The Saints go into the tie with The Tangerines in fine form having won their last four games in all competitions.
Last season The Saints bowed out at this stage of the cup to East Thurrock United after a replay so they will be determined to go further this time around.
Ahead of the trip to Ashford, who are sixth in the Evo-Stik League Division One Central, Howell said: “No FA Cup games are easy, that’s why there is the romance of the FA Cup.
You may also want to watch:
“There’s teams that are in leagues maybe one, two or even three leagues lower than the opposition and they come through and they win.
“We have got to focus on what we have got to do.
- 1 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 2 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 3 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 5 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 6 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 7 Property Spotlight: A detached home on one of St Albans' most desirable streets
- 8 St Albans City reach FA Cup first round after shoot-out win over Corinthian Casuals
- 9 Charity clothes swap raises thousands for mental health charity
- 10 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
“We have seen Ashford and I know a bit about them so we will do what we need to do between now and Saturday and prepare right.”
Speaking after Tuesday night’s 1-0 league win away at Gosport Borough, Howell knows the cup provides an alternative type of test for his squad.
“It’s not like a holiday or a break but it’s a different kind of pressure for the players,” he added.
The following Saturday, September 29, City host Arlesey Town at Clarence Park in the FA Trophy First Round Qualifying.