FA Cup: Disappointing St Albans City held to a draw by plucky Corinthian Casuals

David Moyo put St Albans City ahead just before half-time. Picture: Leigh Page

David Moyo put St Albans City ahead just before half-time. Picture: Leigh Page - Credit: Archant

St Albans City and Corinthian Casuals long-awaited FA Cup tie will have one more episode after an own goal five minutes from time gave the Bostik Premier Division side a well-deserved replay.

David Moyo’s goal a minute before the break looked to be enough to send Saints through to a third round qualifying match at Taunton Town.

But instead of going to the west country they will be going to south London after a cross from substitute Josh Uzun deflected off the unfortunate Tom Bender.

It was nothing more than the Casuals deserved after a battling display that had the Clarence Park faithful chewing the fingernails.

The whole saga surrounding Saints’ opponents had annoyed manager Ian Allinson and he wouldn’t have been happy with the showing from his side.

City may be one level above their Isthmian League visitors but it didn’t show too often.

The mood was set as early as the second minute when David Noble was bamboozled by Jordan Clarke and the Casuals didn’t looked overawed at the contest.

Most Read

They had a number of chances, with Clarke usually the main antagonist.

One effort where he skipped round a challenge in the box brought a big save from Dean Snedker and Corinthians went even closer shortly after.

It was a glorious free-kick from the wonderfully-named Mu Maan. From a central position he whipped the ball up and over the wall and over Snedker too.

Fortunately for City, it struck the inside of the post and was eventually cleared.

St Albans did have chances though, and they all seemed to fall to Sam Merson.

His first effort found him in a good position but he shot straight at the keeper.

The second was from a low drilled cross by Moyo which had a yard out at the far post but somehow the ball ended up in Bradley Comins’ hands.

Moyo’s goal came out of the blue but was much needed. He reacted quickest after a David Noble free-kick somehow found its way through to the keeper.

Long suffering Saints fans would have wanted an early goal in the second half to ease the nerves.

But with injuries making it a stop-start game, they couldn’t find their groove.

And they had an huge let-off when a powerful snap-shot was parried up by Snedker and dropped over the keeper’s head.

Fortunately he recovered to claw it off the line although may believed it had crossed the line.

Zane Banton had Saints best chance when set-up by Moyo but Comins pulled off the save.

And with nerves jangling around the park, a double substitution paved the way for Casual’s cruel equaliser.

The cross was nothing special but it deflected off the stretching Bender and flew past the wrong-footed Snedker.

St Albans City: Snedker, Herd, Bender, Noble (Da Costa 87), Knight, Diedhiou, Wyatt, Sambou, Merson (Gabriel 72), Moyo, Banton (Kiangebeni 71).

Subs (not used): Sinfield, Kamdjo.

Goal: Moyo 44


Corinthian Casuals: Comins, Spencer, Morgan, Strange, Hannigan, McAllister (Uzun 83), Maan, Antonio, Cunningham (Mfula 53), Clarke (Oldham 83), Odunaike.

Sub (not used): Tucker, Cheklit, Smith, Adelakun.

Goal: Bender (og) 85


HT: St Albans City 1 Corinthian Casuals 0

Attendance: 403

Referee: Michael Ryan (West Sussex)