FA Cup run over for St Albans City after Boreham Wood loss

Zane Banton scored St Albans City's only goal as they lost 3-1 to Boreham Wood in the FA Cup. Pictur

Zane Banton scored St Albans City's only goal as they lost 3-1 to Boreham Wood in the FA Cup. Picture: BOB WALKLEY - Credit: Archant

St Albans City’s run in this year FA Cup came to an end in the front of the BBC cameras as Boreham Wood clinched a 3-1 victory.

A penalty from Bruno Andrade on 13 minutes sent them on their way and a second from Shaun Jeffers left City with a hill to climb.

That became a mountain early in the second half when Andrade got his second.

Saints rallied though and when Zane Banton pulled one back midway into the second period, there was hopes around Clarence Park that a stunning fightback might be on the cards.

But the majority of the big 1,418 crowd, were left disappointed as Wood moved into the first round proper.

After a nervy opening the game sprung to life when Tom Gardiner and Shaun Jeffers clashed in the bottom corner of the area.

The referee had no doubts although the decision to award the spot kick was met with howls of derision from the City fans behind the York Road goal.

Most Read

Andrade placed it perfectly in the corner away to Dean Snedker’s left despite the despairing dive.

And having had the luxury of watching the replay back at half-time, Gardiner does catch the back foot of the Wood man.

It was soft but it gave Wood an early lead.

Their second had a massive slice of good fortune too.

Jeffers found room for the shot but it was the massive deflection that took it up & over the City keeper.

Saints had created chances at 1-0.

Rhys Murrell-Williamson was the main attacking threat and after slicing one wide, he produced a much-better effort which skidded low and needed to be put round the post by Grant Smith.

The Wood goalie made an even better save moments later as Walker found himself loose in the area.

The rebound brought huge shouts for a penalty as it hit the arm of David Stephens but again the TV replays showed nothing untoward.

St Albans needed a bright start to the second half and brought Shaun Lucien on at half-time to replace Percy Kiangebeni.

But it was Wood who made the game safe four minutes after the restart when a long ball over the top found Andrade racing clear of Bender.

He skipped round Snedker and slotted the ball into the empty net.

However, after a 15-minute period where little happened, City pulled one back.

Tom Bender’s run took him from his own half into the visiting penalty area, beating multiple defenders.

His pullback to Banton gave the attacker time to pick his spot in the top corner of the net.

It revitalised City and chances came twice to David Noble and once to Lucien.

Had City got another in that period it may have been different but eventually Wood wrestled some sort of possession back.

And in the end they closed the game out without any further worries.

St Albans City: Snedker, Herd, Bender, Noble, Gardiner, Joseph, Murrell-Williamson (Eshun 84), Sambou, Walker (Merson 63), Kiangebeni (Lucien 46), Banton

Subs (not used): Eadie, Joyce-Dwarika

Goals: Banton 66

Boreham Wood: G.Smith, K.Smith, Ricketts, Wells, Stephens, Shakes, Champion, Murtagh (Turgott 8, Andrade (Woodards 72), Jeffers (Holman 63), Balanta

Subs (not used): Bozkurt, Benson, Turley, Thomas

Goals: Andrade (pen) 13, 49; Jeffers 41

HT: St Albans City 0 Boreham Wood 2

Attendance: 1,418

Referee: David Rock