FA Cup: Harpenden Town’s unlikely FA Cup hero Dan Weeks picks ‘a good time to score’
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Town new boy Dan Weeks was delighted to cap a whirlwind seven days with the winner in the FA Cup against Edgware Town.
The full-back only joined the Rothamsted Park side from Berkhamsted on the eve of last week’s opening Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division game against Leighton Town.
But he made himself an instant hero with the early strike on Saturday.
He said: “I said in the changing rooms that’s probably the first goal I’ve scored in two years so this was a good time to do it.
“I signed on at 6pm on Friday night last week and have played three games in a week.
“I haven’t done a training session yet, just played the three 90 minutes.
“But it’s good. They are a good bunch of lads and I’m looking forward to the rest of the season.”
- 1 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 2 Seven men arrested on suspicion of St Albans burglary
- 3 Video shows thief stealing parcel from St Albans home doorstep
- 4 Primary school rated 'Good' in latest Ofsted report
- 5 This is Harpenden: faces of town's residents feature in new exhibition
- 6 Honest truths spilled in Saints dressing room after humbling FA Trophy defeat to Cheshunt
- 7 St Albans Local Plan delayed to autumn 2025
- 8 St Albans' Rachel Andrews stars alongside James Nesbitt and Eddie Izzard in new Netflix series Stay Close
- 9 After another near miss, crossing desperately needed outside St Albans school
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area
A cup run is the least Weeks is hoping for and believes the only thing that will stop them achieving success this year is themselves.
“We can go as far as we want to be honest,” he said. “A couple of rounds in the FA Cup and the chance to play a few decent teams will be good.
“We should have been three or four goals up by 70 minutes but when you don’t get the second goal it all gets a little nerve wracking at the end.
“But the boys did well. We were solid at the back, kept a clean sheet and won the game.”