FA Cup: Harpenden Town’s unlikely FA Cup hero Dan Weeks picks ‘a good time to score’
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Town new boy Dan Weeks was delighted to cap a whirlwind seven days with the winner in the FA Cup against Edgware Town.
The full-back only joined the Rothamsted Park side from Berkhamsted on the eve of last week’s opening Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division game against Leighton Town.
But he made himself an instant hero with the early strike on Saturday.
He said: “I said in the changing rooms that’s probably the first goal I’ve scored in two years so this was a good time to do it.
“I signed on at 6pm on Friday night last week and have played three games in a week.
“I haven’t done a training session yet, just played the three 90 minutes.
“But it’s good. They are a good bunch of lads and I’m looking forward to the rest of the season.”
- 1 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 2 Aldi prioritises St Albans for new store
- 3 Is this the future of hospitality in St Albans?
- 4 WATCH: Delivery driver caught fly-tipping in rural area
- 5 10 reasons to visit this sustainable, family-owned farm shop in St Albans
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 What next for Alban Arena and city centre culture?
- 8 Teen punched in face and stomach during robbery
- 9 Fight to save village Green Belt from development
- 10 St Albans Striders shine at Summer Solstice 10k
A cup run is the least Weeks is hoping for and believes the only thing that will stop them achieving success this year is themselves.
“We can go as far as we want to be honest,” he said. “A couple of rounds in the FA Cup and the chance to play a few decent teams will be good.
“We should have been three or four goals up by 70 minutes but when you don’t get the second goal it all gets a little nerve wracking at the end.
“But the boys did well. We were solid at the back, kept a clean sheet and won the game.”