FA Cup: Harpenden Town’s unlikely FA Cup hero Dan Weeks picks ‘a good time to score’
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Town new boy Dan Weeks was delighted to cap a whirlwind seven days with the winner in the FA Cup against Edgware Town.
The full-back only joined the Rothamsted Park side from Berkhamsted on the eve of last week’s opening Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division game against Leighton Town.
But he made himself an instant hero with the early strike on Saturday.
He said: “I said in the changing rooms that’s probably the first goal I’ve scored in two years so this was a good time to do it.
“I signed on at 6pm on Friday night last week and have played three games in a week.
You may also want to watch:
“I haven’t done a training session yet, just played the three 90 minutes.
“But it’s good. They are a good bunch of lads and I’m looking forward to the rest of the season.”
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 St Albans Band Aid raises £2,200 for local charities
- 3 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 4 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 5 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 6 Historic England asks: 'What do you love about your local high street?'
- 7 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 8 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 9 Honey to the bee - hiving off new flavours for local gin
- 10 Mission success for Three Peaks Challenge team
A cup run is the least Weeks is hoping for and believes the only thing that will stop them achieving success this year is themselves.
“We can go as far as we want to be honest,” he said. “A couple of rounds in the FA Cup and the chance to play a few decent teams will be good.
“We should have been three or four goals up by 70 minutes but when you don’t get the second goal it all gets a little nerve wracking at the end.
“But the boys did well. We were solid at the back, kept a clean sheet and won the game.”