FA Cup: Colney Heath see off Shortwood
- Credit: Archant
Colney Heath booked their place in the first qualifying round of the FA Cup with a 2-0 win over Evo Stik League Shortwood United.
Second-half goals from captain Sam Doolan and Spencer Clarke-Mardel made up for a poor midweek derby display against London Colney.
And as well as banking £1,925 in prize money, the win earned Heath a home tie against Cockfosters in the next round on September 2.
Shortwood had more of the possession in the first half, but Heath held firm and saw Osamu Allman blaze a good chance of their own wide.
Heath opened up in the second half as Matt Taylor linked up well with Niall Lysaght and Clarke-Mardel and the hosts saw substitute Carr win a penalty, which Doolan fired into the top corner.
You may also want to watch:
Carr missed two good chances to add to the tally but combined with Power, whose cross was headed powerfully home by Clarke-Mardel.
Heath: Smart, Power, Robinson, Doolan, Jones, Taylor, Lysaght, Clarke-Mardel, Woods, Allman, Geraldes. Suibs: Carr, Floyd, Hill, Gallagher, Lawrence, Gauthier.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 4 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 8 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 9 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 10 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development