FA Cup: Colney Heath see off Shortwood
- Credit: Archant
Colney Heath booked their place in the first qualifying round of the FA Cup with a 2-0 win over Evo Stik League Shortwood United.
Second-half goals from captain Sam Doolan and Spencer Clarke-Mardel made up for a poor midweek derby display against London Colney.
And as well as banking £1,925 in prize money, the win earned Heath a home tie against Cockfosters in the next round on September 2.
Shortwood had more of the possession in the first half, but Heath held firm and saw Osamu Allman blaze a good chance of their own wide.
Heath opened up in the second half as Matt Taylor linked up well with Niall Lysaght and Clarke-Mardel and the hosts saw substitute Carr win a penalty, which Doolan fired into the top corner.
You may also want to watch:
Carr missed two good chances to add to the tally but combined with Power, whose cross was headed powerfully home by Clarke-Mardel.
Heath: Smart, Power, Robinson, Doolan, Jones, Taylor, Lysaght, Clarke-Mardel, Woods, Allman, Geraldes. Suibs: Carr, Floyd, Hill, Gallagher, Lawrence, Gauthier.
- 1 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 2 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 3 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 4 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 5 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 6 Freedom Day delay is a financial blow to local businesses
- 7 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 8 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 9 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 10 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues