FA Cup: Colney Heath progress
- Credit: Archant
Colney Heath finally got their season started with a positive result against Southend Manor in the FA Cup extra preliminary round.
In a feisty encounter, Southend took the lead when Heath conceded possession in their own half and the centre forward made the most of the opportunity.
A quick response was required and Heath won a penalty as Welsh burst into the area and was fouled as he was about to deliver a cross. Standen converted via the hands of the keeper.
As the crowd waited for the half time whistle, the ball ran through to Clarke, whose smart finish put the Magpies into the lead.
It was a quiet start to the second half but the game sparked into life as Manor equalised and who then looked very dangerous on the counter attack.
You may also want to watch:
The Magpies slowly took control and on 90 minutes finally won the game as Eames made himself a bit space on the edge of the box and unleashed a fierce shot on goal, which hit McGrandles on the back, and nestled onto the bottom corner, sparking celebrations all round the ground.
The Magpies are now away v Bowers & Pitsea on Saturday 30th August on the next round.
- 1 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 2 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 5 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 6 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 7 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
- 8 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 9 Foodies lap up tastes of Harpenden
- 10 Carillon Chamber Choir's farewell concert in St Albans