FA Cup: Colney Heath progress
- Credit: Archant
Colney Heath finally got their season started with a positive result against Southend Manor in the FA Cup extra preliminary round.
In a feisty encounter, Southend took the lead when Heath conceded possession in their own half and the centre forward made the most of the opportunity.
A quick response was required and Heath won a penalty as Welsh burst into the area and was fouled as he was about to deliver a cross. Standen converted via the hands of the keeper.
As the crowd waited for the half time whistle, the ball ran through to Clarke, whose smart finish put the Magpies into the lead.
It was a quiet start to the second half but the game sparked into life as Manor equalised and who then looked very dangerous on the counter attack.
The Magpies slowly took control and on 90 minutes finally won the game as Eames made himself a bit space on the edge of the box and unleashed a fierce shot on goal, which hit McGrandles on the back, and nestled onto the bottom corner, sparking celebrations all round the ground.
The Magpies are now away v Bowers & Pitsea on Saturday 30th August on the next round.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 4 From St Albans to the Australian outback for The Tourist's Shalom Brune-Franklin in BBC One series
- 5 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 6 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 7 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 8 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 9 Ian Allinson praises 'unbelievable shift' of St Albans City players against Maidstone
- 10 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival