FA Cup: Blueboys upset Maldon to progress
- Credit: Archant
London Colney produced a FA Cup shock to book their place in the first qualifying round.
The Blueboys beat Ryman League Division One North side Maldon and Tiptree 2-1 on Saturday to earn a tie against Brentwood in the next round.
Colney were missing Greg Shaw, Dan Power and Martin Collins but this did not stop them from taking the game to their opponents. Early on Tom Smith, who was playing in a midfield role, had a shot blocked and Jason Beck had a penalty shout turned down.
Maldon played their way into the game but Colney took the initiative with a goal in the 27th minute from Jason Beck. Bobby Armstrong pushed forward and played in Beck who turned his man and fired past Jack Giddens.
The home side tried to hit back, first through Kyle Asante and then Len McKenzie, but they went into the break a goal behind.
You may also want to watch:
After the restart, Jimmy Warner saw his effort hacked off the line and Beck just missed the target after being teed up by Spencer Clarke-Mardel. At the other end, Jack Smith saved from Asante.
The game ebbed and flowed until the 83rd minute when Tony Martin latched onto a long ball and levelled the game.
- 1 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 2 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 3 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 4 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 5 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 6 Freedom Day delay is a financial blow to local businesses
- 7 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 8 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 9 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 10 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
With the possibility of a replay drawing closer, Jimmy Hartley fired Colney into the next round with an 87th minute winner.