FA Cup: Blueboys upset Maldon to progress
- Credit: Archant
London Colney produced a FA Cup shock to book their place in the first qualifying round.
The Blueboys beat Ryman League Division One North side Maldon and Tiptree 2-1 on Saturday to earn a tie against Brentwood in the next round.
Colney were missing Greg Shaw, Dan Power and Martin Collins but this did not stop them from taking the game to their opponents. Early on Tom Smith, who was playing in a midfield role, had a shot blocked and Jason Beck had a penalty shout turned down.
Maldon played their way into the game but Colney took the initiative with a goal in the 27th minute from Jason Beck. Bobby Armstrong pushed forward and played in Beck who turned his man and fired past Jack Giddens.
The home side tried to hit back, first through Kyle Asante and then Len McKenzie, but they went into the break a goal behind.
After the restart, Jimmy Warner saw his effort hacked off the line and Beck just missed the target after being teed up by Spencer Clarke-Mardel. At the other end, Jack Smith saved from Asante.
The game ebbed and flowed until the 83rd minute when Tony Martin latched onto a long ball and levelled the game.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 From St Albans to the Australian outback for The Tourist's Shalom Brune-Franklin in BBC One series
- 4 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 5 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 6 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 7 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 8 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 9 Ian Allinson praises 'unbelievable shift' of St Albans City players against Maidstone
- 10 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
With the possibility of a replay drawing closer, Jimmy Hartley fired Colney into the next round with an 87th minute winner.