FA Cup: Blueboys upset Maldon to progress
- Credit: Archant
London Colney produced a FA Cup shock to book their place in the first qualifying round.
The Blueboys beat Ryman League Division One North side Maldon and Tiptree 2-1 on Saturday to earn a tie against Brentwood in the next round.
Colney were missing Greg Shaw, Dan Power and Martin Collins but this did not stop them from taking the game to their opponents. Early on Tom Smith, who was playing in a midfield role, had a shot blocked and Jason Beck had a penalty shout turned down.
Maldon played their way into the game but Colney took the initiative with a goal in the 27th minute from Jason Beck. Bobby Armstrong pushed forward and played in Beck who turned his man and fired past Jack Giddens.
The home side tried to hit back, first through Kyle Asante and then Len McKenzie, but they went into the break a goal behind.
You may also want to watch:
After the restart, Jimmy Warner saw his effort hacked off the line and Beck just missed the target after being teed up by Spencer Clarke-Mardel. At the other end, Jack Smith saved from Asante.
The game ebbed and flowed until the 83rd minute when Tony Martin latched onto a long ball and levelled the game.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 4 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 5 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 6 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
- 9 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 10 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
With the possibility of a replay drawing closer, Jimmy Hartley fired Colney into the next round with an 87th minute winner.