Extra-time heartbreak for Saints
St Peter’s exit Aubrey Cup
Aubrey Cup Round Three
Buntingford Town 2 St Peter’s 1 (AET)
ST PETER’S gave a good account of themselves before going out of the Aubrey Cup at Buntingford Town in extra-time.
The Saints took the game to the league leaders and were rewarded with an early lead courtesy of Harry Cunningham’s free kick.
The Saints should have increased that lead on several occasions but they were kept at bay by some excellent goalkeeping.
The home side did manage to level before the interval when they netted from a goalmouth scramble despite Saints’ ‘keeper Billy Barnes appearing to be fouled.
- 1 LIVE: St Albans and Harpenden A-level results 2022
- 2 'Minor explosions' heard during garage fire near St Albans
- 3 Franco Manca receives licence to serve alcohol in St Albans
- 4 Fresh call for safer crossing on route into city centre
- 5 Person dies after being hit by a train between St Albans and London
- 6 'Get a grip on lawless Charter Market', traders demand in leaked audio
- 7 Body of man in his 40s found in Hemel Hempstead
- 8 Refunds still due for cancelled Herts Fest event
- 9 13-year-old missing from Hemel Hempstead
- 10 Man breaks ankle during 'assault' in Hemel Hempstead
After the break the Saints were hampered by injuries to Joel Norris and Mark Savory but they could have nicked a winner only for Carl Costain’s well struck effort to be brilliantly kept out by the home stopper.
The winning goal came early into extra time and despite both sides having chances to add further goals it was the goalkeeper’s who remained on top.
This Saturday the Saints entertain Bushey Rangers at Colney Heath FC (KO 2.30pm).
St Peter’s: B Barnes; Rayner, Carman, Wiltshire, Hood-Wright; Rees, Beswick, Costain, Cunningham, Norris (K Barnes), Savory (Delaney).