Extra-time heartbreak for Saints
St Peter’s exit Aubrey Cup
Aubrey Cup Round Three
Buntingford Town 2 St Peter’s 1 (AET)
ST PETER’S gave a good account of themselves before going out of the Aubrey Cup at Buntingford Town in extra-time.
The Saints took the game to the league leaders and were rewarded with an early lead courtesy of Harry Cunningham’s free kick.
You may also want to watch:
The Saints should have increased that lead on several occasions but they were kept at bay by some excellent goalkeeping.
The home side did manage to level before the interval when they netted from a goalmouth scramble despite Saints’ ‘keeper Billy Barnes appearing to be fouled.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 3 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 4 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 5 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 10 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
After the break the Saints were hampered by injuries to Joel Norris and Mark Savory but they could have nicked a winner only for Carl Costain’s well struck effort to be brilliantly kept out by the home stopper.
The winning goal came early into extra time and despite both sides having chances to add further goals it was the goalkeeper’s who remained on top.
This Saturday the Saints entertain Bushey Rangers at Colney Heath FC (KO 2.30pm).
St Peter’s: B Barnes; Rayner, Carman, Wiltshire, Hood-Wright; Rees, Beswick, Costain, Cunningham, Norris (K Barnes), Savory (Delaney).