Extra-time heartbreak for Saints
St Peter’s exit Aubrey Cup
Aubrey Cup Round Three
Buntingford Town 2 St Peter’s 1 (AET)
ST PETER’S gave a good account of themselves before going out of the Aubrey Cup at Buntingford Town in extra-time.
The Saints took the game to the league leaders and were rewarded with an early lead courtesy of Harry Cunningham’s free kick.
You may also want to watch:
The Saints should have increased that lead on several occasions but they were kept at bay by some excellent goalkeeping.
The home side did manage to level before the interval when they netted from a goalmouth scramble despite Saints’ ‘keeper Billy Barnes appearing to be fouled.
- 1 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 2 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 3 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 4 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 5 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 6 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 7 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 8 Harpenden constituency to go under proposed boundary changes
- 9 Take a trip to the seaside for fun adaptation of The Comedy of Errors at the Roman Theatre festival
- 10 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
After the break the Saints were hampered by injuries to Joel Norris and Mark Savory but they could have nicked a winner only for Carl Costain’s well struck effort to be brilliantly kept out by the home stopper.
The winning goal came early into extra time and despite both sides having chances to add further goals it was the goalkeeper’s who remained on top.
This Saturday the Saints entertain Bushey Rangers at Colney Heath FC (KO 2.30pm).
St Peter’s: B Barnes; Rayner, Carman, Wiltshire, Hood-Wright; Rees, Beswick, Costain, Cunningham, Norris (K Barnes), Savory (Delaney).