Ewington stars on debut as Colney Heath picks up first win under Thompson
- Credit: Archant
Colney Heath picked up their first win under new manager Ryan Thompson with a come-from-behind 3-2 win at home to Oxhey Jets.
The Magpies started slowly and the visitors opened the scoring on 21 minutes when Simeon Armstrong was left unmarked from a free-kick.
And they made it 2-0 five minutes after the break, Jake Kissedu getting the final touch on a goalmouth scramble.
But that sparked Heath into life and they pulled one back straight from the restart.
Thompson has moved to strengthen Colney’s squad with a number of new signings and it was James Ewington, freshly arrived from Welwyn Garden City, who got it.
You may also want to watch:
He got onto the end of a through ball and lobbed the keeper and just before the hour he combined with another new boy, Lawrence Olorunfemi, to draw the Magpies level.
The winner came from a free kick as a whipped delivery from skipper Liam Griffin found Olorunfemi in front of goal, and his header powered past the despairing dive of the Jets’ keeper.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 3 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 4 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 5 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 6 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 8 Thunderstorms and possible flooding forecast for St Albans and Welwyn Hatfield area
- 9 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 10 St Albans County Lines crackdown continues with more arrests
That was it for the goals although Oxhey had two penalty shouts turned down and Jamie Eames curled the ball just past the far post.
Leverstock Green visit the Recreation Ground tonight (Tuesday) for another Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division fixture.