Ewington stars on debut as Colney Heath picks up first win under Thompson
- Credit: Archant
Colney Heath picked up their first win under new manager Ryan Thompson with a come-from-behind 3-2 win at home to Oxhey Jets.
The Magpies started slowly and the visitors opened the scoring on 21 minutes when Simeon Armstrong was left unmarked from a free-kick.
And they made it 2-0 five minutes after the break, Jake Kissedu getting the final touch on a goalmouth scramble.
But that sparked Heath into life and they pulled one back straight from the restart.
Thompson has moved to strengthen Colney’s squad with a number of new signings and it was James Ewington, freshly arrived from Welwyn Garden City, who got it.
He got onto the end of a through ball and lobbed the keeper and just before the hour he combined with another new boy, Lawrence Olorunfemi, to draw the Magpies level.
The winner came from a free kick as a whipped delivery from skipper Liam Griffin found Olorunfemi in front of goal, and his header powered past the despairing dive of the Jets’ keeper.
- 1 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
- 2 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 3 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 4 Church welcomes gay community event as part of St Albans Pub Pride
- 5 Recap: Two crashes disrupting M1 and M25 drivers near St Albans
- 6 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 7 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 8 New play areas open at Harpenden parks
- 9 Man in his 20s stabbed in shopping area in Hemel Hempstead
- 10 Hertfordshire grandad who died in A6 Bugatti crash had a 'generous spirit'
That was it for the goals although Oxhey had two penalty shouts turned down and Jamie Eames curled the ball just past the far post.
Leverstock Green visit the Recreation Ground tonight (Tuesday) for another Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division fixture.