Ewington puts Harpenden Town through to cup final
- Credit: Archant
James Ewington fired Harpenden Town to the final of the Dudley Latham Memorial Premier Division Cup with two goals away to Leighton Town.
The striker scored in the 63rd and 75th minutes as Harps fought back from conceding an early goal to win 2-1 and set up a clash with either Welwyn Garden City or Hadley who were set to play each other last night (Wednesday) after the Herts Ad had gone to press.
Leighton have been a bit of a bogey team for Town and things looked ominous when Tom Silford fired them ahead very early on.
But Harpenden gradually took control and two almost identical goals from Ewington saw them home.
Assistant manager Michael Jones said: “This result was all down to the boys who fought and fought to dominate the match despite losing a bad early goal.
“It is great to be through to a cup final, the players deserve this success and I couldn’t be happier.”
Harpenden’s home clash with St Margaretsbury on Saturday will be festive themed. There are free mince pies for all, plus mulled wine on offer, and children and over 65s get in free.
- 1 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 2 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 5 Green light given for St Albans City to hit the transfer market but patience is key says Allinson
- 6 Saints respond to Cheshunt shocker with hard-fought draw at Chelmsford
- 7 'Visually striking' Chaos Dancing Cosmos installation at St Albans Museum + Gallery
- 8 Obituary: Don Francis, former St Albans City and St Albans Sunday League star
- 9 St Albans recycling heroes raise £28K for hospice
- 10 Allinson happy with the reaction from St Albans City in the draw at Chelmsford