Ewington puts Harpenden Town through to cup final
- Credit: Archant
James Ewington fired Harpenden Town to the final of the Dudley Latham Memorial Premier Division Cup with two goals away to Leighton Town.
The striker scored in the 63rd and 75th minutes as Harps fought back from conceding an early goal to win 2-1 and set up a clash with either Welwyn Garden City or Hadley who were set to play each other last night (Wednesday) after the Herts Ad had gone to press.
Leighton have been a bit of a bogey team for Town and things looked ominous when Tom Silford fired them ahead very early on.
But Harpenden gradually took control and two almost identical goals from Ewington saw them home.
Assistant manager Michael Jones said: “This result was all down to the boys who fought and fought to dominate the match despite losing a bad early goal.
You may also want to watch:
“It is great to be through to a cup final, the players deserve this success and I couldn’t be happier.”
Harpenden’s home clash with St Margaretsbury on Saturday will be festive themed. There are free mince pies for all, plus mulled wine on offer, and children and over 65s get in free.
- 1 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 2 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 3 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 4 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 5 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 6 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan
- 7 Check in to the Supper Club for something different
- 8 Save Symondshyde still waiting for inspector's report
- 9 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 10 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge