Ewington at the double for Harpenden
Molten Spartan South Midlands League Division One Harpenden Town 2 Ampthill Town 1 JAMES Ewington scored twice as Harpenden Town extended their good run of form to just one defeat in seven games under manager Christian Garzarolli. Town were forced
Molten Spartan South Midlands League Division One
Harpenden Town 2 Ampthill Town 1
JAMES Ewington scored twice as Harpenden Town extended their good run of form to just one defeat in seven games under manager Christian Garzarolli.
Town were forced into a number of changes with captain Andy Saul and Chris Gregory both unavailable. Top goalscorer Iaian Turkentine was suspended, and Nick Chapman and Dave Keenleyside were ruled out with injuries. In came Jack Cartwright, Paul Doonan, Matt Armitage, Will Bates and Jimmy Warner.
Ewington went close early on, and half chances also fell to Doonan and Warner who almost netted with a header following good work down the left by Armitage.
Warner thought he had given Town a deserved lead when he fired in a right footed thunderbolt from 20 yards out, but the whistle had already gone for offside.
- 1 So why WAS police helicopter flying over St Albans last week?
- 2 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 3 Staying silent: the tight-lipped MP who refuses to answer controversial questions
- 4 Removing asbestos from Arena will cost £250,000
- 5 Wholefoods shop relocates to offer wider range of produce
- 6 'Don't touch my hair!' - tackling hair discrimination against black youngsters
- 7 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 8 Patients required to continue wearing face coverings in healthcare settings
- 9 Local estate agent to sponsor Chelsea Flower Show garden
- 10 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
Town could not turn their dominance into goals and the teams went in level at the break. Defenders Cartwright and Michael Ross were impressive for Harpenden to keep Ampthill away from goal.
In the second half Town reasserted their dominance and Warner twice went close before Ben Dawes shot just wide.
Ampthill missed a great chance before Harpenden broke through when Richard Taaffe sent Ewington clear and his cross flew over the goalkeeper into the top corner.
Ian Shaw came on at right back to replace the injured Taaffe and Town continued to play good football. Good work from Dawes saw Ewington cut inside the defender and curl a left foot shot into the net for 2-0.
Ampthill pulled a goal back when a free kick was parried by Harpenden goalkeeper John Gregory and the rebound swept home.
Harpenden held out to win 2-1 and face a tough match away at Hoddesdon on Saturday. Manager Garzarolli will be looking for his confident side to pick up another three points and continue their rise up the Division One table.