Ewington at the double for Harpenden
Molten Spartan South Midlands League Division One Harpenden Town 2 Ampthill Town 1 JAMES Ewington scored twice as Harpenden Town extended their good run of form to just one defeat in seven games under manager Christian Garzarolli. Town were forced
Molten Spartan South Midlands League Division One
Harpenden Town 2 Ampthill Town 1
JAMES Ewington scored twice as Harpenden Town extended their good run of form to just one defeat in seven games under manager Christian Garzarolli.
Town were forced into a number of changes with captain Andy Saul and Chris Gregory both unavailable. Top goalscorer Iaian Turkentine was suspended, and Nick Chapman and Dave Keenleyside were ruled out with injuries. In came Jack Cartwright, Paul Doonan, Matt Armitage, Will Bates and Jimmy Warner.
You may also want to watch:
Ewington went close early on, and half chances also fell to Doonan and Warner who almost netted with a header following good work down the left by Armitage.
Warner thought he had given Town a deserved lead when he fired in a right footed thunderbolt from 20 yards out, but the whistle had already gone for offside.
- 1 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 2 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 3 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 4 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 5 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 6 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 7 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
- 8 New vicar comes to Harpenden church
- 9 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 10 Olympian Max Whitlock opens new Harpenden leisure centre
Town could not turn their dominance into goals and the teams went in level at the break. Defenders Cartwright and Michael Ross were impressive for Harpenden to keep Ampthill away from goal.
In the second half Town reasserted their dominance and Warner twice went close before Ben Dawes shot just wide.
Ampthill missed a great chance before Harpenden broke through when Richard Taaffe sent Ewington clear and his cross flew over the goalkeeper into the top corner.
Ian Shaw came on at right back to replace the injured Taaffe and Town continued to play good football. Good work from Dawes saw Ewington cut inside the defender and curl a left foot shot into the net for 2-0.
Ampthill pulled a goal back when a free kick was parried by Harpenden goalkeeper John Gregory and the rebound swept home.
Harpenden held out to win 2-1 and face a tough match away at Hoddesdon on Saturday. Manager Garzarolli will be looking for his confident side to pick up another three points and continue their rise up the Division One table.